Roku

dragonflies

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a Roku, dragonflies!

Basically, Mama Khan and I can access just about every viewer-subscription/on-demand service available: Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle, Vudu, Blockbuster, even the new WB Instant Archive. There are also tons of specialty channels that have libraries consisting of things like "Classic Westerns," "Kung-Fu Cinema," and "Drive-In Movies." I think you can access iTunes, too, although I haven't tried.

Before we had the Rokus, we were on the AT&T U-Verse 300 package. Since then, we have cut down to the "Family Pack," and that's only because we need to make sure there's something for my niece to watch (such as Disney Channel, or Nick Jr.) whenever she's over. However, if you have an HBO or Showtime subscription and you use and like HBO GO or Showtime's equivalent, you'll need them still. (You can't access HBO GO without it.)

All in all, I'd say our household digs the Roku. With all the channels (over 100!) available, we discovered very quickly how little we needed all those cable channels, since most of what we want from them are available now elsewhere. Best of all, w/ Hulu Plus & Netflix at $7.99/mo. and Amazon Prime Instant at $79/year, we found we saved a few dollars as well.

I hope this helps! :)

• Members

I am debating between Roku or Apple TV. I love that Roku has Amazon Instant Video on it....for classics like Flo to watch but Apple TV doesn't include Amazon Instant Video.

I also heard the video is clearly sharper on Apple TV?? And the lag time is worse on Roku??

• Members

I bought a Roku to prepare for the soaps and it's so much more useful than I expected. I already had Netflix and Hulu, but now I'm going to add Amazon Video (mainly for 90210 & Party of Five so far). Between all these services I feel like there is so much variety that I don't need cable. The only downside is that the soaps that aren't available via these services I find that I'm not watching because I don't like watching them on my computer. For my love of B&B, I'm forcing myself to watch it on my computer, but I wish it was available on Roku.

• Members

I just got one for my bedroom tv so I'm going to explore it later tonight and see what the free offerings are before I decide whether or not to subscribe to anything. I think it's cool that it has the A/V cable option so you can use it with the older tvs (cuz I have still have a CRT set in my bedroom). I was just installing it on my lunch break. Easy peasy! You do need to be on a computer while doing the installation and it asks you to register a credit card in case you make any purchases.

• Members

I haven't had any issues with a lag time or bad picture quality. I think everything looks great and there is never a load time for anything. And keep in mind I have a slower, cheap internet service and I still haven't seen issues.

• Members

Okay, have been playing with my new toy tonight. smile.png

On the free side alone, there are a lot of genres to choose from, depending on what you like. I happen to like old tv shows and movies, especially of the scifi and horror genres. Lots of stuff there, especially the cheesy 50s stuff. You can get Crackle for free--unedited movies. I also downloaded a fitness channel, a couple of Italian channels. You can tailor radio channels with your favorite artists and genres.

Go to roku.com and browse their channels. It'll tell you what you can download for free and what may have additional fees.

• Members

Just bought Roku...got it over the Apple TV mainly because of Amazon Instant Video...it was easy to set up and add channels. There is no lag time and I am watching it on my HD TV but it seems the picture quality of the soaps is better on my 21in IMac. It is funny seeing AMC on TV again with my Roku...now if only ATWT were to go online.

• Members

I do hate that PGP was head of it's time with those AOL soaps. I'd LOVE to see their collection on Netflix or Hulu. THey should get on it since they already have that stuff ready to go. I would be in heaven with all those shows streaming.

• Members

I miss the EON/PGP stream. :(

Roku has a channel that is showing "classic" B & B scenes (I don't think they're full episodes). I don't watch the show so I've not checked it out but it's the only thing I've seen on the free side of Roku pertaining to any daytime soap without having to go through a 3rd party subscriber like Hulu Plus.

Archived