AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think P&G has always looked at the soap opera as a means to sell their products (they began the soap opera to sell soap) and judging from their actions, they've never truly changed their way of thinking to value these shows on their own artistic merits.

When the ratings dipped and at some point, the executives no longer saw these shows as facilitating their product sales to their satisfaction, they made plans to cut the shows loose.

I only see them reviving/rebooting these shows if they can get a huge $$ incentive. I don't see them putting time nor effort into the creative process nor contributing in rebuilding the show show artistically/dramatically. I think the Emmy's and fan adoration was just a bonus to them (the cherry on top of the sundae). Clearly their bottom line came first and I see it always being this way. It would take a genius, passionate series of efforts to wrest control away and make P&G 'cash' out their investment so someone else can have a chance to develop and revive these shows in the way that they deserve (and the fans that love these shows). Finding that type of producing entity that has the management and financial backing who would take a risk on presenting an offer might be iffy at best, considering how bad these shows were creatively in their final years.

You can't truly compare ABC/Disney Daytime and P&G. ABC/Disney is surrounded by lots and lots of producing possibilities for TV. What does P&G have in this area? P&G is going to hold on to those two shows with the valuable histories, regardless of whether they know what to do them, even if they NEVER do anything with them (they're kind of log the dog in the manger). If they had a diverse wealth of production initiatives like ABC does, perhaps they might react differently. Then again, I wonder whether they had an offers the way PP stepped up to ABC?huh.png I mean, I think AMC and OLTL were in much stronger positions creatively and even financially when their shows ended.

• Members

I don't think PP would be interested in ATWT/GL they don't have the BRAND awareness that AMC/OLTL. AMC/OLTL were much bigger BRANDS that ABC owned and spent more money marketing. Honestly GL should have been cancelled in 2002 it was a dying dog that just had no life in it. I don't miss GL cause it was years and years thats it quality. Last time it had a budget was when Paul Rauch was EP. ATWT I liked it but it never soared in demos. Also on Chris Goutman everyone is a bit rude about him. Goutman was great at AMC under Felicia as a director. He was not responsible for AW being cancelled. As AW prior to him under Savitz was horrible and horrendous to watch. Goutman also revitalized ATWT from 2001 to about 2003 with Sheffer. Later years of it stunk plus years with JP were horrid. Before Goutman it was Behr's ATWT which bored me to tears. Felicia great executive producer totally wrong soap for her. She just didn't work at all AT ATWT. Also the Martha Byrne stuff we don't know what happened between her and Chris Goutman. Chris/Martha were close at one time. Maybe bad blood between them that caused this with her, CBS and P&G. am not a huge Goutman fan but he did do some good stuff. ATWT was very buzzed in his early years something it wasn't for a very long time.

• Members

The main problem at AMC is they made the biggest mistake in 1996 and fired Felicia Behr who was EP of the show for 8 years. She broguht the show to number 2 and show was amazing during her run. Honestly 1995-1996 was amazing the Homophobia storyline, Kelsey, Erca's pill addiction I was hooked. Then they saddled the show with weak executive producers. Francesca James brought ratings down and she and Broderick had mixed results. They didn't get good until the end of her run. Then Broderick was fired and McTavish returned and it was a mess. Then Jean Dadario Burke was EP and it was horrid stuff. Especially the Burke/Passantee years I just tuned out. Remember the Laura drugged out, skipping school, pyscho and doing some sexy pathetic dance on Leo was an all time low. The Laura/Gillian stuff was pure grbage. Burke was fired and then Julie Carruthers who was good at GH sucked here. She went throguh five different head writing teams. It just seemed firing Felicia was the worst thign they ever did for the show especially when it was number 2. Then Behr went to ATWT where she STUNK. AMC has Ginger Smith who FMB hired and trained. They need to go back to what worked on AMC.

• Members

Sonia Blangiardo: @allmychildren #AMC Right to Left: Jen Salamone, me, Ginger Smith, Vivian Gundaker, Fritz Brekeller, & Dana Randles

737443117.jpg?key=320190&Expires=1361904

https://twitter.com/SoniaBlangiardo/status/306454090920103937

Sonia Blangiardo: So nice to be working with the fantastic @realcadymcclain again. I worked on #AMC w/ Cady in early 90's & again later at #ATWT.

https://twitter.com/SoniaBlangiardo/status/306437267474485248

Archived