GH: Discussion for the Month of January

• Members

As a (former) Sonny fan, this would work for me. Prison, death, or some HEA with Brenda off-canvas is really all he has left. Honestly, the character should have stayed gone in 97. That was the perfect ending for Sonny that I think Claire Labine invisioned for him. Realizing everything he worked for cost him the chance for love and the family he wanted. That being said, he still was viable until about 2004. This version of Sonny just isn't in character at all. The Sonny I know would have dropped Kate months ago to go bang the nearest Brenda-lookalike. For better or (mostly) worse, Sonny is a ladies man that wouldn't waste his time with this nonsense. It really doesn't help that KSu and MB have anti-chemistry and no root-worthy value.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, the stupid thing is Sonny/Mike didn't even seem to care much about her, so her being Sonny's sister was useless (You have to remember Sonny's mom was Cuban so that is why he is 100% percent Hispanic, while Courtney's mom was blonde and blue eyed so she would never look like Sonny-Mike clearly doesn't matter). She and BW's AJ were decent together and it was obvious to the viewers that they were broken up for the golden boy Jason who had viable love interests with both Liz and Brenda at the time. I mean, Brazen isn't exactly my cup of tea, but anyone watching in 2002 knew they were going to go there if VM had renewed her contract. And the Liason story was dropped randomly midway through for no real reason. ALW certainly couldn't carry being a lead on GH, but she would have been fine in B or C stories. It was really the way they wrote her that was the problem and it was clear once they secured KeMo that Courtney was no longer a factor. KeMo almost suffered the same fate when she came on and they tried to make her a Brenda-lite character. She was touted as the next big thing and her and Jax were the next supercouple BEFORE she aired. Luckily, they finally got her out of Jax/Sonny's orbit and KeMo was capable of moving past her crappy introduction to become a viable (-ish) character.

• Members

As a fellow (former) fan of his (who doesn't hate him as much as I do the two other assh0les) I go back and forth between agreeing that Sonny Corinthos' presence should've lasted from 1993-1997 and giving a bit of credit to that year or so (1998-1999) before he was ruined by the soul-sucking chupacabra. While the perpetual S&B stan would love to be rewarded with them having a HEA, I could live with prison or death for him as well.

Since MB is signed on until the end of this year or when this show gets canned, Sonny Goes To Prison is the likeliest storyline for him at this point. While his sycophants would visit him once a week onscreen, the rest of the town can complete its rebuilding (through the leadership of Commissioner Devane) of a post-Sonny Port Charles.

As for him and Konnie, I honestly have no opinion of it because Konnie seems to be doing her own thing while Sonny's main thing is needling AJQ (and failing at it). Add the fact that I never took KS seriously as Kate Howard and find Konnie to be a riot, I can't get upset over them being paired because I rarely see them together to actually care. I guess I don't and can't see her as a threat the way that others do because I'm sure she'll be written off/killed off at some point.

For the record, though, The Real Kate Howard (a.k.a.: Megan Ward along with her lovely hair) was the only other love interest of his besides Brenda that I loved. Had she been brought back, I'd have more to say about it.

• Members

I just thought the whole making her Sonny's sister was just random as hell and never made sense to me. Out of all the ways to connect her to the canvas (if they HAD to) and this is what they came up with? At least I could somewhat buy Ric Lansing being Sonny's brother, though I hated like hell that he was made out to be/felt inferior to the roided goiter for so many reasons.

Nothing against KM (I'm quite fond of her, in fact), but the whole Sam character sunk like a stone to me because she was clearly introduced as a bootleg version of Brenda Barrett. For someone who was high from playing bad-bitch Livvie to being a pale imitation of a beloved character was a huge comedown for her. Even worse was the fact that in spite of characters onscreen stating that Sam was a badass, there was nothing in the way that she carried herself or acted that convinced me that she was all that and then some (all the more reason why the rabid standom of this character perturbs me to this day).

To sum this up, if it wasn't for my residual love for KM as Livvie Locke-Morley, Courtney and Sam would've been interchangeable in my eyes.

• Members

She was so bootleg it wasn't even funny. They were clearly banking on KeMo's charisma to save the whole horrid story. And while I like KeMo/Sam and know VM lost a lot of sparkle on her last return, KeMo doesn't have half the charisma on her best day that VM has on her worst day. In fact, I heard a rumor (take with a large grain of salt) that KeMo actually finished up the planned Brenda character arc with a few tweaks. It makes a lot of sense- the Jax stuff, the affair with Sonny winding up in pregnancy, and the eventual Jason pairing. I could see Guza going with this and it sucks for KeMo who has to play a story that would have been okay with Brenda's history but fell utterly flat with a newbie.

• Members
well you can as far as this story is concerned. That was the entire basis for why she even blackmailed Johnny into marrying her and has been trying to keep from losing that leverage; to prevent Sonny from having Olivia commit her. It's why she knew once Johnny confessed, it would only be a matter of time till he either committed her himself or annulled this and risk Sonny trying to use her family to do it again

• Members

Charisma can only take you so far when both the story and the characterization of your character sucks sweaty eczema balls. Poor KM has had to wade through so much crap for so long that some soap viewers are at a loss as to why she was a get for GH in the first place.

I'll stop short of comparing KM to VM negatively/positively because I see them as two actresses that can play different types very well. While VM shines at playing the spoiled-rich-bitch-turned-imperfect-heroine (which is why Brenda Barrett was and will always be her best role), KM shines as the cut-you-to-the-quick-snarky-bitch (which is why Livvie Locke-Morley was and will always be her best role). Both have charisma and I lay the blame on showkiller Guza for purposely steering KM away from what she does best in order to turn her into a drip of a heroine.

• Members

KM's best material was when Sam split from Jason in 2007 and they turned her into a villainess. She rocked as a don't give a f--k bitch, causing trouble, going up against the show's saints, being a seductress and overall badass. She had a lot of chem with GV's Lucky and visually they looked great together. 2007 was Sam at her peak and nothing since has compared

• Members

I agree about KM. I used like her so much as Livvie, only for her to become Jason's appendage on GH. Her best story on GH was terrorizing Liz and hooking up with GV's Lucky. They were a physically beautiful couple and hot as hell. It spoke volumes that Burton could not come close to creating that kind of steamy chemistry with her.

• Members

While I don't think that her GH character is anywhere near interesting as Livvie's on her best day, I will say that KM does perk up when she is away from her pre-destined screen partner (which, thankfully, is more than usual). I'm not fooling myself into believing that Sam will ever be as fabulous as Livvie, but if she does capitalize on a roided-goiter-free existence to the fullest extent for the remainder of this show, then she may be in the running for most-improved character on this show.

Archived