GH: Actor Possibly Out.

• Members

To KDP not working, that's actually not true. When OLTL ended, she did the smart thing that I honestly didn't know if she would do and started hitting the horror convention circuit. Basically, if you were in any kind of even remotely beloved horror movie between 20 and 40 years ago, you are almost guaranteed work in horror today if you put yourself out there and promote yourself to those fans. Most of the prior generations of fanboys have grown up to be filmmakers and are only too eager to hire virtually anyone associated with the movies they watched as children - Rob Zombie being one major example, though I just despise his films. Whatever, it's work for everyone from crazy Karen Black to one of those women in Police Academy. Same sort of thing, Jeff Fahey couldn't get arrested a few years ago either, until Robert Rodriguez, who remembered him for his terrible genre work, put him in Planet Terror - then he went on to do Lost for like three years. I never could stand Jeff Fahey until I saw him as an older, more seasoned man in other things (though Lost wasted his potential).

Anyway, whether she realized it or not, KDP wisely started doing horror cons where a lot of generations of fans know her not for Blair or the soaps, but for her role in Evil Dead 2, which is a massive cultural touchstone in that genre (I prefer the first film, but 2 is a lot of fun). And sure enough, it got her work in a film that isn't half bad, and I expect that will keep getting her work, if nothing else, which is more than a lot of soapers (and former OLTLers) can boast. Between the tacky hair-removal informercials which pay the bills and her cachet with genre geeks, I think she'll keep working. I actually think it's the best thing for her to branch out. She seems to have been genuinely blindsided by the fact that she is remembered and beloved by a whole other sphere of entertainment for that movie where she took an eyeball in the mouth.

So I really don't get bitter off KDP, either in her performance or offscreen. We've seen bitter in daytime. I think she's definitely a bit maudlin, but bitter I've never seen. She was very publicly poleaxed by the end of the show, as most of the vets were, and she was very vocal as cancellation approached and she reminisced about how she gained a keener appreciation for her bread and butter couple, which she admitted to not always 'getting,' when it came back to the show in the last year. I think that's a human and emotional reaction, and I don't see faulting her for it. I also think she has a right to be candid about being disappointed in not getting a contract like the others, and a right to be disappointed, though I was not surprised when she didn't. I don't think she's said anything so out of turn or outrageous, though - she is a jobbing soap actress with an existing fanbase from a supercouple, of course she is going to promote that when asked about the character and the soap. They all do that, even when the shows are gone. I haven't seen her harassing or haranguing anyone. She's been very gushing and supportive of the show, the actors, TPTB. And I expect she'd come back and play a romance with anyone else if asked. It's just that her function and her purpose in the scripts and via RC has been what it is. When you're coming in to play a beat for the couple from OLTL, you can't promote what they don't give you to play (although she has spoken in praise of Todd and Carly as well). And when soap actors do do that, we claim they've gone rogue and are completely out of line and should behave better - so she can't win.

KDP's always been an easy target - she has an accent, her on-air singing is inappropriate and not to my taste, she likes what she likes, she promoted whatever the network asked, she shills unfortunate hair removal products - but in reality there's just not that much there to rip apart, IMO. Hate on Blair if you want, that I can understand from a certain POV, but I just don't see it as per KDP. My fanbase goggles have never been the best.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know how many appearance she did or didn't make, but what I do know is that when she became visible in that circle she suddenly got work in a horror picture which I am a little familiar with from something completely unrelated. And from what I've seen, when that trickle of work starts happening in that scene with the old genre vets it keeps coming if they want it, unless they are utterly unable to work (or Karen Black).

• Members

I got a feeling this may be DAYS last go around too. If they get the pink slip then NBC will no longer have a daytime show. I think DAYS needs to get rid of Ken Corday. He seems to be toxic to that show. Back during the writers strike there was a writer filling in for Dena Higley ( I think Ed Scott??? Not sure) and DAYS became a good solid show and ratings climbed to over 3 million viewers a day. Then when the writers strike was over Higley was back in charge. Why does Corday always get the suckiest people to write/produce the show? Why does he bring people back only to write them back off and not bring them back for 3-4 years? He needs to go! If DAYS has any chance of getting renewed by NBC then they need new producers and writers ASAP! While they are at it how's about we ditch Daniel, Gabi, Rafe. They are so irritating to me. I fast forward anything they are in.

• Members

While I agree the man is toxic, Corday owns Days so sadly no way to get rid of him. Days’ total viewership rose to over 3 million again back in Feb. 2010 (under Tomlin) and within just 3 months had fallen by over 800,000 (still under Tomlin). The show has had some good weeks when it regained a hundred thousand or so viewers only to lose them all again in the following weeks but the long term pattern has held at about 800,000 – 900,000 below its Feb. 2010 viewership ever since. Currently it’s a million below that mark (once again under Tomlin). I’m one of those who left Days during early 2010 and other than a few brief exceptions never returned (after having been a fan since the mid 80s) so my POV is that Days died then and everything since has been a futile attempt to prolong the inevitable.

• Members

As Kazz said, Ken Corday owns DAYS, so getting rid of him, or even asking him kindly to take a backseat, is out of the question. However, he tends to hire mediocre writers and producers for the simple fact that not many are willing to work for the guy. I don't know how much about this I can say, but I can say that KC is not an ideal boss.

Archived