Does Anyone Care About Lance Armstrong?

Wales2004

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another example of why journalism has went into the crapper. ESPN has been so busy building up their favorites that when something like this happens they look like fools. I still remember in 1979 when they launched that they had no time for the BS that goes on today on that network. Other nets do the very same thing (See Tom Brady) but the others will jump on a story and investigate it if it shows to have merit. Armstrong is a true punk and wholeass for denying for years what everyone close to him had admitted. And he still comes off like he really didn't do anything wrong.

We need to stop putting these athletes and coaches and teams on pedestals. Armstrong will most likely face criminal charges as well, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

• Members

No matter what opinion anyone holds of Michael Jordan--the one thing that he is not is a product of ESPN's manufacturing machine. I suspect he is the reason that ESPN constantly tries so hard to create the next greatest athlete in any of the more popular sports. Look how many years they tried to manufacture "the next Michael Jordan." Now they seemed to have let that pursuit go in favor of convincing everyone that LeBron James is the greatest basketball player ever--now and then.

Tim Tebow is somewhat of a victim of their desire to manufacture. And Lance Armstrong was their most inspirational story ever....you'd think. Today his Oprah spotlight is being overshadowed on their stations by the Manti Te'o story. What's going on with this is a great example why they should not have such a great monopoly on sports. Their entertainment side may have been prevented from revealing this story in order not to have any effect on their airing of the BCS game with Notre Dame.

They can talk about Manti Te'o and Notre Dame's tearful athletic director all day and speculate ad nauseum. At some point Manti Te'o knew his "girlfriend" was not real and he chose to perpetuate the myth no matter what the reason. There's no excuse for it.

• Members

It was a great interview. I was reading some analysis of the interview which brought up some of Oprah's weaknesses as an interviewer. Not being a hard news person she doesn't really ask follow up questions, she doesn't press for names or dates, she doesn't challenge on the what and when as much as say Mike Wallace would have. What she did do that no one else could do was through her own Oprah shtick of fuzzy warmth and the human condition, she shined a spotlight on just how cold and hardcore Armstrong is. He just could not fit in her empathy world and do the whole tears and the whole "why?" soul searching stuff Oprah goes for. He really came off as a rotten, cold villain.

• Members

The most bizarre thing about watching the interview is that Armstong had the same facade now in confessing the truth as he had when he was lying though his teeth. At one point he tried to show emotion when talking about his kids and for a split second Oprah looked at him like he was a crazy mutherfucker. I saw the criticism that Oprah received but it wasn't warranted. Lance is a sociopath. It makes you wonder how many other celebrities known for pristine, philanthropic lifestyles are leading double lives.

• Members

I watched some of the first part and none of the second. There was a moment during the first part where I decided it that he's pathological and I needn't watch anymore. It came when he claimed that he stopped doping in 2005 and the profile compiled from 2009 and 2010 blood tests was wrong. He indicated he was angry about it. So for years he did it and didn't get caught and claims that when he was clean they said he wasn't and he's mad. I know it's a human reaction to be upset when you're blamed for something you did not do but he's not in a posiiton to whine about that and he's not credible. I got the impression that this was about his trying to make a case for his being clean the years that USADA said he wasn't. Because he's such a cold person and was so nonchalant about all the people he sued, I don't see how he helped himself at all with Oprah time.

Those who are criticising Oprah for being too soft should already know Oprah's style. Their issue should be with Lance Armstrong for not choosing them instead of Oprah--especially since they know it was a strategic move on his part. Some of them did ask him tough questions for years and what was the response they thought they could have gotten from him now? Experience has shown them that asking him tough questions will not necessarily lead to honest answers....so sure they can criticize de facto. Those of them that were culpable in helping to build the myth of Lance Armstrong should ask themselves some tough questions.

Yesterday, Mike Greenberg (ESPN Radio) took that avenue that myth building contributors in the media usually take--blame it on the public. I don't recall ever asking the media for a feel good story about anyone at all. What I want to know from the media is real hard news and the weather report. Good for Lance Armstrong that he beat cancer and was still able to compete in his chosen sport. That was sufficient information.

• Members

I watched both interviews. While Oprah might not have been as hard of an interviewer as someone like Lesley Stahl or Morley Safer from 60 minutes, I thought she did a good job. Lance, he definitely didn't across as someone who was remorseful or sorry for what he did. He across as someone who is pissed he got caught and would do it again if he could. His "Others got a 6 month ban, while I got the death penalty is totally unfair" shtick made me roll my eyes, as did his splitting hairs with Oprah about whether he pressured other teammates to dope or be fired. Even Oprah with her expressions could tell the dude was lying. The only human moment I saw from him was when he talking about his kids. Lance can rot in hell.

Archived