Beverly Archer RIP

Soapsuds

• Members

Link

Beverly Archer, a television actress best remembered for her work on the 1980s situational comedy Mama’s Family and the boot camp series Major Dad, has died at age 64 from natural causes in Santa Monica, California. Archer, who shot to fame for her portrayal of the spinster homemaking neighbor Iola Boylan, died in the early morning hours of October 1, 2012 within the comfort of her private residence according to her nephew, Noah Aronoff. Archer had been a resident of Santa Monica since 2001 following her retirement from acting and television writing one-year prior.

Archer was born Beverly Aronoff on July 19, 1948 in Oak Park, Illinois and was raised in a Jewish household where her father worked as a utility salesman. Her family moved to California at a young age and she was educated at Alverno Heights High School in Sierra Madre where she was active in several drama productions and continued in her passion by studying the art at San Francisco State University and UC Santa Barbara; working in summer stock along the way. Although she appeared in several commercials in 1975 her true acting career began in 1976 on The Nancy Walker Show in which she played Nancy’s daughter Lorraine followed by another recurring role on We’ve Got Each Other.

She later grew her resume with appearances in ABC Weekend Special, The Adventures of Pollyanna, Family Ties, Spencer, The Fall Guy, Comedy Factory, My Sister Sam, ALF, What a Dummy, Married With Children, Full House, and Clueless. She also appeared on the big screen in Vice Versa, The Couch Trip, and The Brady Bunch Movie. She also wrote several episodes for Mama’s Family, Working Girls, and ALF. She made her last appearance in the made for TV movie Going Home and retired completely in 2000 at age 52. She was previously married to Robert Bernard from 1976 until her death.

Moving to Santa Monica she spent the remainder of her life gardening, granting occasional interviews, supporting Democrat politics, was active in her community and was a member of The Santa Monica Synagogue. She also was known for her extensive work with clay figures and was interviewed on the subject in 2008. According to her nephew, Archer remains were promptly cremated and her ashes scattered at sea in Santa Monica. No public or private services will be conducted.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh my God, how awful, and this was the first post I read this morning and it really bummed me out. I am so glad that she is still in the land of the living.

I found the above obit a little "curious" though and I was ready to address a couple of things. Like, who dies of "natural causes" in their sixties, and the "no plans for public or private memorial" thing always makes me wonder about the deceased. I think Bea Arthur wanted the same.

I didn't know that she was married, either.

Did any of you ever watch the Mama's Family reunion on the Vicki! show? It was so funny seeing her all dressed up like Alexandra Spaulding. Some commented that they thought Vicki was being a little rude to Beverly.

• Members

The only thing about the obituary that threw me was when it said that she had been "previously" married to her husband until her death. I just assumed it was a typo and that they meant his death.

But whatever, Iola was awesome, and Bev is, too. Glad she's still with us and I hope she's enjoying her life.

Archived