RIP Sherman Hemsley

alphanguy74

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I feel like a piece of my youth is gone. I have so many memories of laughing with my family gathered around the tv watching The Jeffersons. George got on my nerves, but he always made me laugh. Sherman was a talent.

Rest in Peace, Sherman.

• Members

I watched him primarily on All in the Family when George and Louise (she wasn't called "Weezy" until The Jeffersons) still lived next door to Archie and Edith , and even though it took awhile for George Jefferson and Archie Bunker to come face to face (he wouldn't meet them for years--only his brother Henry), it was worth it. RIP sad.png .

• Members

I didn't realize he was only 74. I thought he was a little older.

Sherman was a great comic actor, and I don't think The Jeffersons ever would have worked without him. He was also very good on Amen.

We've lost so many comic legends this year alone.

• Members

Roxie Roker (Lenny Kravitz's mother) who played Helen was the first of the quad to pass. I remember Isabelle Sanford's final public appearance at the TV Land Awards which was truly heartbreaking. She had been through some recent health troubles and her speech was slurred. The look on Sherman's face as she fumbled to make a quip was so sad, like second party embarrassment. :( He said he knew that was the last time he'd see her, and it was.

Marla Gibbs is still living. When TVOne started airing Amen and 227 reruns they did a marathon and had cute commercial breaks of Marla and Sherman boxing in the ring and doing their old familiar banter.

• Members

I watched his Emmy TV Legends interview earlier this year and I remember him talking about how nervous he was his first time on AITF (because he'd never done a major tv show or role before) and how sweet the cast was to him. Also, he mentioned how hard it was for him to slam the door on the Willises on TJ because it was rude but he had to do it for the character.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived