Summer Olympics 2012

Wales2004

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Congrats to Andy Murray! That was a really great moment for him and is definitely a gain of confidence going forward now. And that lost at Wimbledon really helped him out today as he wasn't nervous at all.

I would've liked to see Roger win a gold medal because I doubt he'll be competing in 2016.

I never heard of Olga Korbut but I really enjoyed that story about her. That move on the unbalanced bars where she uses her stomach on the lower bar and then swings backwards to the high beam was freaking amazing!!

Nope.

• Members

Did Roger even show up for the match?? He was so flat. That was the worst match I have seen him play. Andy should share his gold medal with Del Po for wearing out Federer because that wasnt Roger playing. He had nothing left in the tank. I just started laughing at how Andy was treating it like Wimbledon with hugging his family and [!@#$%^&*]....gawd....how pathetic and desperate. No Andy this is not Wimbledon....at times I felt Andy expected more....lol...especially when he was looking at the medal.....like thats it moment?..lol....Kiddos to Juan Martin Del Potro for winning the bronze. I got to see his match with the Joker and was glad he won the match. He deserved something after that awesome match with Federer. Back to Andy....loved how Del Po covered his body with his national flag...then someone from the seats handed Andy the British flag...lol....I thouht that was a funny moment....I also noticed Federer wasnt too pissed off he lost during the ceremony

And so it begins...how no one had won Olympics Gold in tennis since 1900...lol...was flashing all over ESPN....and Brad gushing over his win on ESPN2.....The Olympics in tennis reminds me of the daytime emmys....awful shitty people win...lol.....only Serena, Graff, Edberg and Nadal have been great players that have won..other gold medal winners were WTF winners.....lol.....

So Andy accomplished one of his goals....hmmmm...and now he says US Open was another...well he is still a non Grand Slam Winner....The Olympics dont count no matter how much Johnny Mac wants it to count......

Hey Toups....Andy is heading your way......Canadian Open is on Monday....I should have known Roger wouldnt have won after finding out yesterday he withdrew from the Canadian Open...he must have been exhausted from the Del Po match. I see a complete surprise in this week in Canada with many upsets.

The US Open in 3 weeks....for some reason Id watch out for John Isner and Del Po...possible winners!

BTW...was watching the mixed doubles and was so glad Andy lost that one...lol...even though he probably didnt care as much.

• Administrator

Man, you're way too harsh on Andy. That was the biggest win of his career and he did it in front of his nation. Yes, Roger played badly but Andy took that experience from the Wimbledon final and he went to another level in his play. How is hugging his family pathetic? Come on, man! Look at Del Potro, who broke down and started crying when he won the Bronze medal.

• Members

Tennis haD not been an official Olympic sport for decade up until I think 1988 or 1992 when it was reinstated. Since then, Agassi, Nadal, v Williams, Graf, Davenport, Sabatini, Seles, Djokovic, Edberg and probably some world class players I am forgetting won medals. Frankly I don't see why winning an Olympic medal should be less than winning a Grand Slam. Federer I think does have a gold medal from the last Olympics in doubles.

• Administrator

Awesome vid, especially that one girl who used her stomach on the high beam as her finishing move! Wow! I never really played attention to gymnastics before but I think I might start watching the uneven bars at the next Olympics.

• Members

Cause IMO...Andy isnt the great player the ESPN and NBC people make him out to be. He is such an overrated tennis player in my book. I dont see whats so great about him...he still hasnt won a major...where as Del Po has won a major and is a much better player than Andy....because of his injuries he wasnt able to continue his previous success.....

And like I have said I dont care for a tennis player that yells f uck you to his box and family when he is losing...what low class Andy has.....I really hope he never wins a major...

Oh and you didnt see Serena huggin her famil in the Olympics....LOL....Andy just made it feel like it was Wimbledon...I mean please....it wasnt to hard to see.

• Members

I never felt tennis should have been part of the Olympics.....and now they are adding golf...please.....lol.....those you mentioned were awesome players that won but then you have your clunkers....lol...that won. And I would not put it up there as a major because not everyone participated...it was a lesser draw and the men only played 2 out 3 sets and not 3 out of 5 like the majors.

• Members

There has been clunkers, one notes players that has won Grand Slams also. The championship match for the gold was best of five not three. And who is making him out to be a great player. ESPN always talk about the big three and Andy is not part of that conversation. What so wrong about a country (or a sports fans) cheering for their players/teams? I always see ESPN complaining about the state of American

Roger think the Olympic is important, that the only thing that he need to have a career golden slam (only Steffi Graf, Andre Agassi, Rafael Nadal, and Serena Williams can claim that)

• Administrator

Wow. In women's soccer, Canada got screwed on USA's third goal. First, the refs calls a delay of game because the goalie had the ball for longer than 6 seconds - a call that is rarely made, and you certainty don't make that in such a tight game. So that gives USA a free kick. On the kick, the ball goes off the arm of a Canadian player and the refs decides to give USA a penalty kick! The Canadian player didn't extend her arm/hand to hit the ball, the ball came to her - that is not a hand ball! So of course Wambach scores to tie the game. Then Canada loses the game on a heart breaking goal by hottie Alex Morgan in injury time in extra time. Unbelievable game. This would've been Canada's "Miracle on Ice" game if they had won because Canada were huge underdogs (last time Canada beat USA was in 2001). I do feel like Canada got screwed with that third USA goal on those two horrific back-to-back calls by the ref.

• Members

I have more comments that I'll have to save for another time, but I thought this one was worth a quick response. All the GB gold medal winners are receiving a stamp and a gold post box in their home cities so it's just not him. When I saw your post I immediately wondered how he'd find such favor over Jessica Ennis who I am certain is more beloved than he.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/olympics-first-class-jessica-ennis-gets-stamp-and-gold-post-box-in-sheffield-video-1-4806243

He can be grateful that he looks so much better in the photo than in reality. He looks unclean and unkempt but at least he won so we were spared the crying. I disagree with you about tennis being a part of the Olympics. While I don't think the U.S. basketball team should be completely stacked with pro players minus the one soon to be rookie, I don't mind seeing the pro tennis players go for medals since one to one or even in doubles, it's more level than having a team of NBA professionals beat up on the Tunisians or Nigerians. That's laughable and I won't even waste time watching the games in which the U.S. basketball team is playing.

ITA that Andy Murray is over-hyped when it comes time for Wimbledon but that's because the analysts love to pretend that everyone in England favors him. He got more cheers this time around because he was playing for GB and I am with you on that running up into the stands business. At Wimbledon, the cheers were loudest for Roger Federer. If he were English and not Scottish, he'd probably get lots more love. Or maybe if he were actually good looking they'd overlook that.

Archived