Summer Olympics 2012

Wales2004

• Members

Maybe I am a little early on this but I do love all the righteous indignation over the Chinese made Tommy Hilfiger uniforms.

They're about several games too late to show concern over not being made in the USA.

Thumbs down to Ryan Seacrest being a part of NBC's team. I avoid American Idol and all the shows he managed to steal from the radio guys so I can only hope that he won't be around any of the events I end up watching.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The opening ceremony outfits are actually designed by Ralph Lauren and the least of their problem is that they were made in China. Those outfits are just stupid looking. The men's looks like Prep School uniforms and the women's look like flight attendants. They are basically a variation of the uniforms made in 2008.

As for Ryan Seacrest, I think his participation will be during the Today Show coverage or fluff pieces where he goes to different tourist/historical sites around London.

• Members

Thanks for correcting me on that. I don't know why I had Tommy Hilfiger on my mind. Ralph Lauren said he will make the 2014 uniforms in the USA so maybe that will take care of this issue.

I hope you're right about Ryan Seacrest. I figured it would be fluff but I never know when fluff will show up during certain sporting events.

He was supposed to be the top candidate to replace Matt Lauer had ML not agreed to a new contract so he'll be in the ideal spot to cement that for the future.

• Members

Thanks. If I had to pick from the last 12 years, I'd go with 2000.

I'm sure some of the NBA players will love those outfits. They can just add their "lens-less" glasses and call themselves trendsetters. What they needed was a red, white and blue plaid or pin-striped suit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

OMG, that opening ceremony was dreadful and way too long. It was, especially, horrific after the magnificence of Beijing. WTH was Danny Boyle thinking? They should have celebrated what Great Britain is now, not white wash their history. The agrarian society was full of hard work, deprivation, and death for peasants. People weren't happily working in the fields. Also, the wacky dancing of the guys in suits standing around was too much. At least, the dancing NHS was funny and poignant in its own way. The only bits that I liked were the skit with Bond and the Queen and Mr. Bean.

Bob Costas makes me throw up in my mouth every freaking year. He insists on politicizing the parade of athletes which really infuriates me. Most of the athletes who come from countries that our government dislikes have absolutely no control over their governments' politics. His commentary should focus on the athletes' accomplishments and hard work, but that would require doing research about their Olympic teams. The Olympics are about bringing everyone together to build a more peaceful and better world, not scoring political points for our government.

• Administrator

I really enjoyed the opening ceremonies. Of course it wasn't better than China's (I don't think a country will ever top that). My favorite parts were James Bond/The Queen, Mr. Bean, the national health service, the tribute to British music, and the way the cauldron was lit was pretty cool. I knew NBC would have too many commercials, so I decided to watch it live on CTV.

• Members

I didn't mind the opening ceremony, because I know nothing will ever top the over the top magnificence of Beijing. My only problem with it was that certain segements dragged on for way too long.

I loved the little nod to EastEnders in the beginning (with the Thames river, the show's heavy drum intro being used, and parts of the open credits art), as well as the British music and literary segments.

It's funny though, the British are some of the most unpatriotic people on this earth, so it was ironic and hilarious watching and hearing commentary about how proud everyone was to be British and how they're celebrating all of the UK.

• Members

Damn, anybody else watch Woman's Beach Volleyball? This is one the most exciting, intense sport of the Summer Olympics and sport I was looking forward to most. Those Aussie's are giving Misty-May and Kerri Walsh a run for their money. Watching Misty-May and Kerri Walsh play is almost better than sex and I'm a gay dude. laugh.png

• Members

My favorite events have always been the gymnastic ones. Will stay tuned for those. I have to admit, I like to look at the hot guys in their outfit do their stuff...lol. I do find the women to be more entertaining to watch though

Archived