Your recommended albums

DRW50

• Members

I thought we could make a thread (if there isn't already one) for albums you don't think get enough attention.

Mine would be Naughty, by Chaka Khan. It got a mixed review at Allmusic but I don't think there's a song on there that isn't good-to-fantastic. She sings with so much passion and frenzy and you never want to skip a song.

My favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNArTCG6j2A

Whitney and Cissy Houston are on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SkCsW90g0U

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My list

Crayons by Donna Summer

It didn't sell well and was not well reviewed but it was I think her first CD/ Album in years and she sounded youthful and jubillant. It reminds me alot of her early work and perhaps that was a turnoff to many who thought she should have been performing more mature work. I loved it and still do. Some of the material was fluff but her voice just enriched it so much.

Live from the Blues Alley by Eva Cassidy

Amazing voice , amazing singer who could sing anything from Fields of Gold to Chain of Fools and go from sweet and melodic to bluesy and gut wrenching. This is a live compilation of songs she performed at the Blues Alley and has very unique renditions of very popular songs of their time. I think " Stormy Monday" is probably my favorite. It's a shame she died so young and was unable to capitalize on her ability to interpret anything.

• Members

Real by Belinda Carlisle

One of the best albums I've ever heard, from start to finish, and definitely Belinda's best. It's edgier, rockier, and more raw than anything she did before or has done since. It got great reviews upon release, but it tanked on the charts. Such a shame. I highly recommend it.

Key Tracks: Lay Down Your Arms, Where Love Hides, Big Scary Animal (It's Too Real)

• Members

1251395_101230204511_Waiting_to_Exhale.jpg

Hands down one of the best soundtracks of my lifetime written, produced, and arranged by one of the best R&B producers/songwriters of my lifetime. It is a flawless combination of different voices and R&B subgenres wrapped up into one album. Both old and new school singers get their just due in songs/renditions of songs that cater to their strengths.

My only quibble is that Roberta Flack's version of It Must Be You wasn't included on this soundtrack album.

• Members

Really appreciated the recs!

I also have to recommend Gonna Take a Miracle, by Laura Nyro and Labelle. Laura Nyro loved the R&B and soul of the 60's, but also knew she alone could not do these songs justice. Labelle and Laura worked together, in a ridiculously fast amount of time (they even made a bet on getting this all done in one quick session), for touching and heartfelt covers, some of which I prefer to the originals, like Jimmy Mack.

This is one of the most exquisite songs of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32WKVb-U_U4

• Members

I loved the songs from this album but never got it. I might download some from Itunes. It was played somewhat on the radio. I hadnt heard anything new played on the radio by Donna until this cd came out.

Archived