GH: Alternative

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm truly sorry for what you went through, and I'm not trying to discount your feelings about the scenes. I'm sure they felt real to you. The point I was trying to make was that GH failed to get the rest of the audience, those who (thankfully) haven't experienced this in real life, to have a similar reaction to yours. Whether you've experienced rape in real life or not should not matter. You should never be even remotely able to see rape, or any depiction of rape, as a joke. GH failed at this, and I didn't think that was (or should be) possible.

• Members

I empathize a lot with John. But this isn't the only board that has reacted to this the way many here have. The question I'd ask is why with rape being so serious a crime wasn't the show able to make the entire audience feel, because it shouldn't be a debate.

• Members
Pretty much. People aren't exactly laughing at Sam's ordeal but then again Kelly Monaco isn't doing any OTT theatrics and comedy faces. The way the Kate storyline is being handled is different and KS's portrayal as been hilariously disastrous throughout

• Members

Frankly, I'm still mad over how this rape has been retconned into Kate's history in order to explain her DID. Not only has nothing about Kate's past behavior ever suggested a history of sexual abuse and mental illness, IMO, but to suggest that an isolated trauma is the cause of all this is (to me) an insult to real rape survivors. Not every rape victim has had to create an alter ego in order to cope with memories of the attack -- in fact, I can't think of one story concerning DID that suggests such a cause -- but most DID victims share a history of repeated sexual abuse that has its origins in the victim's early childhood.

• Members

The problem with taking this story seriously is we have no reason to believe this will even be the ultimate story. Can you imagine how an OLTL fan felt if they identified with Jessica's rape by Ford, and then, months later, learned that Jessica was apparently in full control, wanted to have sex with Ford, and that he asked her a dozen or more times if she really wanted to do this?

• Members

Apparently so, yes. It's so out of character for Carly to take Johnny back weeks after she calls him a rapist. It's all about turning viewers on, apparently. We seem to be stuck in Victorian-era writing.

• Members

Hell No no one was laughing at rape stories from the past! This Cartooni junk should be mocked!

Tell the story of a woman (Kate) taking the man who took advantage of her sexually (Johnny) to court and suing him after trying to press criminal charges. Wouldn't this be easy to write for a person who practiced law at one point. Its a social issue, right?

Lazy hacks write one terribly bad nonstory and repeat it endlessly!

Archived