SOD: Peter Reckell Leaving DAYS?

• Members

I'm sure Peter sees the writing on the wall. I mean he hasnt much to do as of late....its been Rafe and Co. as of late and with Tomlin back its going to get worse again. I'm sure he saw how Renee left without looking back and decided to do the same thing. Soaps are pretty much dead....the ones left exist just to exist,

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's true for some of them, but there's also some who have been around for a good long while (PR included- he's been on contract consistently since '95, taking off only '93- '95 in that entire decade) that may not necessarily have to do anything and are weighing that option in there as well. I could see PR retiring, but I can't see him doing it if it would hurt them or if the show truly wants him to stay but can't pay what he wants or give him the guarantees he may want.

It is a whole different world out there right now, but the actors are aware of that, certainly someone like Reckell, who has seen many of the ups & downs of the genre throughout his 30 year career, most of which was on 'DAYS' in daytime. I don't see him leaving (and hope he doesn't at this point) but with today's climate, who knows what he'll decide? No matter what he does, you can't really find fault with him or any actor who's put in that amount of time deciding it's time to move on to other things.

• Members

I forgot about this. Ugh I wish Hope would leave with him too. Can't stand her.

Honestly I wish the show would go younger. Bring back Shawn, Belle, Philip and Chloe and write some stuff for them. Those are familiar characters with history and untapped potential. I'm sorry to break it some but John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Stefano, etc. are used up. They are not going to write anything but the same old same old. I would much rather have those characters frontburner leading the show then The Bradys vs Stefano 8.0 and Sami/Lucas/Carrie/Austin/Rafe.

That is the "reboot" this show needs IMO but it won't happen. I can't bet on this show getting canceled bc NBC is probably more concerned about daytime but however long its on it will suck with characters doing the same sh-t and newer characters who nobody likes keep sticking around bouncing from story to story (Daniel, Rafe)

• Members

Maybe Peter's just tired? I do think the show probably isn't working very hard to keep him. They're likely thrilled to free up his salary, unfortunately. That's what's not setting well with me. However, we don't REALLY know what's happening behind the scenes.

I don't blame him for wanting to retire. He's worked consistently for the last 17 years. He's got a young child and a wife. I'm sure he wants time with them.

I do worry about the character of Hope, especially in the hands of Tomlin. We got some of the worst stories for Bope under Higley a writer who claimed to ADORE and LOVE them. I like Tomlin enough but I'm just not sure what he will do this go around. I didn't despite it when it seemed like he and Whitessel were handling the show so we will see.

• Members

Crap, it's looking a little more real today, huh? :)

The Hope/Justin/Adrienne thing could prove to be really interesting, if Bo were to die and it were a gradual thing that happened through other "B" stories playing out. We've seen Alfonso's chemistry with Wally and Tomlin was there when DAYS was testing them. If Reckell and Bo do end up going, this would be the best way and make the most sense.

I just don't see them bothering to kill Bo anyway, though. Fans would either not buy that he was dead anyway (and he probably wouldn't be) or the DAYS brass realizes they're on borrowed time and don't want to have killed Bo just to bring him back to end the show anyway. It would be a pointless exercise no matter which way you cut it, so I don't see them going this route.

Now putting him in a "coma" that he may or may not come out of.........that probably would work better and the stories could still pretty much go on, they'd just have an added layer to them.

I agree that Ashford & Reckell probably are the best 2 actors on the show right now and it's a major loss for them to pretty much go out at once. I'm sorry to see them both go- especially Ashford. There was SO much untapped potential that was never written or played on the screen. I was interested and invested in him and his story from his first day back but it was written so haphazardly that it pretty much just got dropped, which is unfortunate I'd say. I doubt I was the only one who got invested that is more than a little disappointed that Jack is out and we never got a middle and an end to his storyline.

If it were 10 years ago, I'd probably agree with that, but the end is nearing, so why kill Bo just to turn around and bring him back a couple months or even years later? Like I said earlier in my post, I'd go the coma route for now and allow story to develop as if he's not alive. You either end up having him come out of it, if the show goes in 2013, and reuniting with Hope or the show is renewed in 2013 and you either kill him or pull the plug, etc.... Get one last story out of him.

I have to disagree here. One thing that I liked when Tomlin/Higley/Whitesell were running DAYS is everyone was getting the ball at one point or another. They streamlined the cast and then made sure to use and write for each of the characters that were kept. I'm hoping that we get something like that when their material starts airing- it was one of the things that I really liked about their regime.

• Members

With Bo out of the picture, I could see Tomlin bringing back Matt Ashford to play the Jack return story he originally envisioned, eventually reuniting Jack and Jennifer, but then having Billie and Hope in a triangle with Daniel.

On the other hand, I would love it if Tomlin started writing Hope as the bitch he wanted to back when he brought her onto the canvas played by Tammy Taylor.

Archived