Soap questions you want to ask but havent

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

On the one hand, you could say that ATWT held onto Eileen Fulton in order to maintain goodwill with their audience. On the other hand, situations such as Larry Bryggman's (and Elizabeth Hubbard's, and Patricia Bruder's, and so on and so forth) refute the idea that the show's P'sTB always held the viewers' attachment to veteran players in high regard. It's my belief, then, that someone (either at CBS, or at PGP, but someone) liked EF and had clout enough to keep her there, even when, as you say, it was clear how much the show itself didn't want to utilize her.

• Members

Knowing how P&G treated Michael Zaslow, and how they dumped other beloved veteran actors like Bruder, I agree that no sense of loyalty to the older audience and their favorite performers played much of a role. I'm sure you're right that someone, somewhere, among the higher-ups went to bat to keep her. But who was there long enough to protect and keep Fulton employed for the last ten years?

• Members

Believe it or not? Chris Goutman. I'm not saying he's the one. The truth is, though, he probably was the only constant in ATWT's last decade to have that kind of pull with the sponsor and network.

• Members

There was that video conference, with several actors from the show on a panel talking with Goutman and Jean P., in which Goutman touted Hastings, Hayes, and Fulton as being the heart of the show. (I forget exactly how he put it, but it was a comment along those lines.) But even during that interview, there was tension with Fulton, who openly complained that TPTB had left her character out of the action, although she DID thank them for giving her that 50th anniversary episode. Anyway, I suppose Goutman being her protector is as good a guess as any. Since he WAS the only constant over the last decade, who else could it have been? I guess I'm just not prone to according him any kudos, seeing all the mistakes he made as producer.

• Members

This may forever remain one of soaps' unsolved mysteries! I'd love to ask Eileen Fulton about this, to see what she thinks. Now that the show's off the air and she doesn't even have to try to appease P&G or CBS, she'd have nothing to lose by spilling the beans. In my more cynical moments, I wonder if certain executives despised her so much that they kept her around just to demean her, LOL.

• Members

Victor Alfieri played Jose, a guy that worked on the same fishing boat as Kate when Lauren Koslow took over the role in January 1996. He was then cast as Franco in June.

The actors name is Rob Moran, he also played Mayor Arthur Shepard in 2002-2003 and a business man that Austin knew in LA in 2005.

Also...

S. A. Griffin played a trucker that tried to rape Sami in 1996, the prison warden in 1997, Dry Creek Sheriff that Philip paid to arrest Brady in 2002, and a guard at the mental hospital that picked fights with Steve in 2007.

Joel Swetow played a sultan in the harem Kristen was brought to in 1998, an oldfriend of Stefanos that helped him get rid of Ivan and Celeste in 1998, a fake producer that Kate hired to trick Sami in 2007, and Dr. Granger who was on the DiMera payroll and tortured Steve in 2007.

Eddie Velez played Malko, a mobster in LA that Bo and Billie met in 1993. And in 2001 he played Nicole's father Paul Mendez.

Jeff Griggs played Jude St. Clair in 1995-1996, and a card dealer in the Virtual Eden in 2000.

John Apicella played Sami's lawyer in 1996. FBI Agent Byers in 1998. Fay, Hattie and Kate's boss at the Hudson Street Diner in 2000-2001.

Marcus Patrick played a guy that drugged Chelsea's drink at Club Dune in 2006. Played Jett Carver in 2007.

Those are some I could think of right now but there are many more.

Archived