Soap questions you want to ask but havent

• Members

Some secondary characters who did disappear in 1997 was Michael Lai (female), Claudia Cortez (Lilly Melgar, recently killed off GH and wasted on B&B ), and Enrique (?), played by George Alvarez. I remember the latter 2 were introduced around November 1996 right before they switched Thornes. Enrique flirted with Michael but it went nowhere. Claudia crushed on Thorne and Macy gave her a bitchy "stay away from my husband" warning.

I think all 3 were last seen at a Forrester pool party in summer '97.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Cortez story was one of Brad Bell's many dubious social issue stories, which were quickly dropped. Claudia was working at Forrester illegally (I believe they had no idea of this, or something), supporting her family - most of whom vanished in about a week or so. Macy was jealous and she called INS and Claudia was almost deported. This led to Winsor Harmon's Thorne divorcing Macy by fax.

B&B really lost its way in about 1994, IMO.

• Members

Michael first appeared in the summer of 1995 and had a fling with Dylan, who was also her roommate. Then she had a short-lived romance with Grant Chambers but he married Brooke instead. Both Michael and Enrique were also suspects in the "Who shot Grant?" storyline. When that was cleared up, the two characters vanished without a trace in May 1997.

Claudia and Enrique also had a mutual backstory. I think his father was responsible for her family having to flee the fictional country of San Carlos or whatever its name was. It was a poor attempt at some "Romeo & Juliet" story.

Claudia's brother was Lucien. They and her mother lived in some shack in the outskirts of L.A. But as Carl pointed out, they vanished as soon as Claudia was taken in by the Forresters. I think Claudia lived in the poolhouse for a while.

• Members

There was huge wasted potential with Lindsay Price, who had a real charisma and sex appeal, Dylan Neal, who was a charismatic and appealing junior leading man, and Maitland Ward, who had a directness and vulnerability which cut through some of the crap she was given. At the time SOD said, rightfully, that they had no idea why B&B turned a summer love story into a misery plot about statutory rape. And that was what Jessica was forever stuck in - depressing and unpleasant social issue stories. Sadly that was the best younger group they had, and they were wasted.

• Members

I'm convinced something happened behind the scenes to make EJ well EJ. It was such a rapid change and such a complete game changer that I am almost certain it didn't happen as it was planned. I think someone just decided they needed an antagonist for the rest of Salem and they whipped this up real quick. It was simply such a complete change to go from one extreme to the next.

• Members

Agreed.

And to add to that group of characters was Jasmine Malone, played by Lark Voorhies. She disappeared without a mention after Sly's bar burned down after the rape reveal. How do you waste a talent like Lisa Turtle? Though DAYS wasted her too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Some Y&R questions:

- When were "Newman Enterprises" created? I know Victor first worked for Kay, I know he bought Jabot in 1989 but I don't know how he dealt with business in between.

- I always wondered about the contract/recurring status of a few actors on the show: Carolyn Conwell, Anthony Pena, Patty Weaver, even Brett Halsey or Nathan Purdee (who seemed to have been off the show in 1988-1989). When you look at the closing credits, they are sometimes credites on contract and sometimes on recurring. Would love to know the exact dates.

• Members

Who exactly was Gina Roma (Patty Weaver) other than being related to Danny Romalotti? And when was the last time we saw her? Was she the forever peripheral restaurant owner who would bring people their menu and eavesdrop on conversations?

• Members

Gina was a con artist who'd been in prison for a while and then reformed. Her biggest stories were when she dated Lauren's father Neil (they broke up after he found out about her past, through Lauren's schemes), and then when she married Clint Madison, not knowing that he'd kidnapped Esther and Katherine and replaced Katherine with a double.

She was last seen on a news broadcast in 2009, ranting about what a terrible person Kevin is.

Archived