Soaps Wardrobe

• Members

:lol:

I've read other posters here on SON say that CT provided her own wardrobe as well. That may be partially true, because I do remember reading a SOD article about costumes back in the day and the GH costume designer was talking about the pointy and mean looking Donna Karan heels he liked to put Helena in.

In SL's Intimate Portrait, Kelly Ripa says Susan is the only actor on the show who actually dresses down for her character. :P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting about SL dressing down for her character. Do you suppose she hangs out in those sparkly things? Whenever I've seen photos of her when she makes outside appearances, she is always dressed beautifully. She really seems to know how to dress for her body type. I've been told she's skeletal-looking in person but her clothes work for her.

Maybe those are Constance Tower's clothes but the wardrobe person chose her accessories. I know the GH actresses who have been there for any time choose their characters' wardrobes so I figure a lot of the worst faux pas are on them.

• Members

Y&R

Jess Walton

Victoria Rowell

Tracy Bregman

Heather Tom

Jeanne Cooper

Nina Arvesen

Eileen Davidson

Barbara Crampton

MTS

B&B

SALLY SPECTRA

OLTL

Andrea Evans

Kassie DePaiva

Robin Strasser

Fiona Hutchison

GH

Robin Christopher

AMC

Susan Lucci

ATWT

Elizabeth Hubbard

Cady McClain

Maura West

Colleen Zenk

• Members

I don't know if the clothes in question were Erica's or Susan's, but over the years she wore A LOT of clothes to public events that she'd also worn on AMC. She's been on Worst Dressed lists before, and she's made some VERY questionable fashion choices over the years. You can look at pics of her from different events, and you can pretty much tell when she dressed/styled herself and when someone else planned her look for her. Her choices are almost always more gaudy and over the top. It's funny that people think of her as knowing how to dress given some of the awful choices she's made in the past. She's done much better in the last decade or so, but that was also when she seemed to go out in public wearing Erica's wardrobe more too.

In the unauthorized bio that was done on her, one of AMC's wardrobe people (this would have been back in the 70s or 80s) said that the main obstacle in dressing her is that she'd really prefer to be 5'10" and blonde. In her own book, she said that her "normal" weight was about 92 pounds, which is underweight for her alleged height of 5'2", and that she told her trainer she wanted to look like the prima ballerinas she saw in NYC, so I'm not surprised that she looks skeletal in person.

As far as her "dressing down" to play Erica, I've seen enough casual, candid photos of her out and about to believe that their wardrobes are pretty similar.

• Members

It's true, she often made the worst dressed list and when I find it I'll scan the page out of People magazine from one year. Do you remember that Emmy dress, I think it was Badgley Mischka (sp?), that had a yellow jeweled and paisley bodice and a huge pouffy green skirt? It was not my favorite. She made the cover of People again for it, but not because it was "bad" but because she and Deborah Norville had the same dress.

I think Kelly's point was that Susan's wardrobe is as extensive and as expensive as Erica's, if not more. My friend used to tease her for the high heels and jeans look that you see her in out and about, but then she'll top it off with a coat: http://www.rexfeatures.com/set/398605 Just like on her Nightline interview with her red mink.

• Members

Interesting. I never paid much attention to Susan Lucci or her character. I wasn't aware she was panned for her taste in clothes. I always saw her as being the face of soaps but I wasn't entertained enough to actually watch her.

There were so many good actors on AMC through the years; I guess that's mostly who I noticed. SL's scenes were usually good for a timeout.

Archived