Lifetime: Devious Maids

Cheap21

• Members

Susan Lucci was by far and away the best part of the Pilot. She plays her character with such a lovably airy touch, like she goes from depressed to jubilant with the bat of an eyelash. The way she squealed in agony when Zoila reminded her of her age was hilarious and different than what a lot of actresses would do.

After 41 years, Lucci was able to do something different and it seems she worked hard and planned how to play Genevieve really thoroughly. Even though she was hardly in the episode, a glaring f*ck up as far as I'm concerned, she's the only character that I thought was fleshed out and memorable.

Kudos to La Lucci. She is the single thing that all the reviews like. I bet many didn't think she had it in her.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved her interaction with Zoila. You get the impression that they've been together a long time and that as much as Genevieve drives Zoila insane, Zoila's not about to leave unless the situation with Remi and Valentina gets out of control. I liked Zoila a lot.

I really like Rosie as well. The scene with her crying on the phone with her son broke my heart, and I cheered when she interrupted the interview.

But yes, I'm with you - La Lucci was definitely a bright light in the show.

• Members

Yup, the critics really love La Lucci in this.  We all knew she was good at comedy.  Here's what the critics have to say about her performance.

• Members

Gonna have to watch. I forgot all about it on Sunday. I think they made a mistake releasing the episode first, IMO, but we'll see what it gets this Sunday.

TO me, it seemed good (the promos) but pretty much Cherry ripping off his own Desperate Housewives. Hilarious the music cues were familiar.

Worth checking out?

• Members

I told my friend that, it always when you prerelease a pilot. Because some won't tune in and they'll end up waiting for the next episode as a lot of them said they were on Twitter and other sites. The test will indeed be in the coming weeks to see if they can build on the audience or even hold steady at their numbers but a rise I'm sure is what they're going to be looking for.

• Members

I was horrified by that opening scene were they had Flora attacked, beaten and murdered accompanied by a comical cue. It was moments like these that horrified me on DH as well and it's sad that we've become so desensitized to them.

It's really a blatant copy of DH in every single way. He changed the names and locations, and voila!

I did find myself enjoying it by the end, I have to admit. Most of the acting was very good and Susan Lucci really impressed. But this is not her show and the leads need to be just as dazzling!

Also liked the ending. But I have no faith in Marc Cherry. I even doubt it will manage to be good for a whole season. And Cherry is definitely not the right writer to be handling issues such as Latina/white relationships etc.

• Members

Where I think the quality may really suffer is when we find out who did kill Flora. Because what then? I mean, Marisol is obviously there to unravel this mystery, and once that's done, I'm not sure what they're going to do unless the groundwork is laid for something big before that wraps up.

• Members

Going into it, hopefully just having 13 episodes it won't be like nearly every season of DH where it would start out OK, completely annoy/lose me by the middle, and then somewhat have me watching again at the end. LOL.

• Members

I'm sure it'll be just like DH, where each season has it's own mystery. If the show lasts long, I hope it doesn't become as tiresome as DH did. By forcing a mystery on each season, it made the show so hit or miss. I often would enjoy most of the side stories and romances, but the big mystery (like in season 2) just would kill the show.

Archived