Lifetime: Devious Maids

Cheap21

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just finished the pilot and you can always see sometimes why someone else passed on it, and I can see why Lifetime would jump on the chance to air it on their network instead. It belongs here more than ABC.

I felt bad with Rosie's story -- can't believe that woman tried to make her sound like a bad mom when in fact she was one of the worst.

Valentina's crush on the son is cute and I was LMAO when she found the resolution to get Genevieve to come out from under the bed. The ways she did it all fast had me cracking up.

Carmen, I can kinda tell she'll be the one I least care about but the song that played was kinda nice and I do like Roselyn Sanchez' singing.

Marisol I figured either was related to Flora or the guy -- didn't see the mother/son twist coming.

I'll definitely tune in to episode two when it premieres.

• Members

La Lucci was not on enough! More please. smile.png But it's nice to see in the credits, "and Susan Lucci." :)

Always been a huge fan of Ana Ortiz. She was great on Ugly Betty and Hung, two shows where she played a typical Brooklyn broad. It's nice to see her in a quieter role where she doesn't have to use the accent.

I think ABC would have picked this up had it not been for Mistresses which has a similar all-female ensemble. Devious Maids fits better on Lifetime and compliments the rest of its lineup which includes shows like the Client List.

• Members

I seriously doubt that because they passed on this WAY before Mistresses came into the equation and its not like they have a ton of female ensemble shows. It's campy, cute, and kind of a murder mystery that simply wasn't on par or the level of DH... I could be wrong but I'll see how much it evens out as the series goes on because I'm making my basis on just the pilot.

It fits better with Lifetime and their "Television for Women" brand more and they may get more seasons out than ABC would have.

• Members

Do you think Susan Lucci's part will be beefed up in future episodes?

From what I read, her guest spots on Army Wives were so well received by the female demos that Lifetime picked up Devious Maids due to her. Since the pilot was filmed ahead of that, it explains why she might not have as big of part.

• Members

Mistresses and Devious Maids were in the same pilot season. Mistresses got a straight to series pickup and Devious Maids just got a pass. I do agree that DM is a better fit with Lifetime. It's a light and fun summer series.

Hopefully. It's a big ensemble cast. Not all castmembers are featured in each episode, so some episodes may feature more characters than others.

• Members

I swore they got straight later on because I remember Gina (formerly on B&cool.png was on an ABC talent hold and they wanted her for Devious Maids and then she passed because she didn't want to be typecasted and then she went off to do her movies which have actually already aired way before DM. But I do not have the time to go back and read the time line for the shows via Deadline... I will one day though but too busy now.

• Members

It's weird because DM is MUCH better than Mistresses.

I have to say, I loved it! It has the verve and energy of early DH. Not as good but I see a lot of potential.

Ana Ortiz is fantastic. And I did not see the episode ending twist coming.

• Members

I like DM a lot. I hope it survives some of the negative press that it has gotten. Based on early feedback, some of the skeptics are surprised that the show is good.

I like Mistresses too, although I think it has a weaker ensemble compared to DM. Alyssa Milano is solid. I'm not digging Yunjin Kim at all.

• Members

AM is okay, her story is kinda weak and predictable. I agree on YK, I think she's done something to her face. And I'm not feeling their friendship, I just don't see those four women interacting.

Maybe I'm biased because I watched the original UK Mistresses and while the stories were the same and just as predictable it didn't feel so trite.

I forgot to mention how fantastic Lucci was in her short scenes. She's such an expert comedienne.

BTW I'm predicting that Zoila

• Members

There's a possibility about that considering how passionate she was with her speech about not forgetting what she is there for and reminding them as well. Or she could just be a crazy, overprotective mom. Good theory though!

We need more people to discuss this with.

• Members

Gasp! Scandalous. Zoila doesn't strike me as someone who would do that. But we'll see.

By the way, Lifetime is offering the pilot in both English and Spanish. I watched the Spanish version and it's funny to see La Lucci's lines dubbed in Espanol. laugh.png

Archived