The Joy Of Disco (BBC Documentary)

alphanguy74

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This one always had a great groove:

And Ecstasy Passion and Pain has always been one of my top favorite disco groups. Barbara Roy just has an AWESOME voice. They were on the first wave of disco, this song was recorded in late 1974... they were certainly leading the way:

Barbara was a freakin powerhouse.... she played lead guitar on all the records, and onstage, wrote 90 percent of the group's recordings, AND was the group's accountant and business manager, besides being the lead singer.

• Members

As a European I feel that no thread about disco is complete without Baccara!! tongue.png

For me this song is the quintessential disco hit. It was a massive hit in Europe during 1977-1978, hitting number 1 in the UK, Germany, Holland, Norway among others. Here in Sweden it topped the singles chart for 20 straight weeks starting August 12th 1977. That is a record which still stands.

Some more Baccara:

• Members

No, it never charted in the US, but did receive some airplay.

Here's some more Baccara. Live this time, from the 1978 Eurovision Song Contest where they represented Luxembourg and finished in 7th place:

I don't know which is more hilarious. Their French or their choreography! tongue.png

• Members

Yes Sir is brilliance. I admit I can't listen to much Baccara, but... Sophie Ellis Bexter does one of my favorite modern disco cover versions of it as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q5UWPMncNE

Crucify is GREAT--I admit Army of Lovers can be a bvit too camp even for me, but... I believe Hans co wrote many of their songs as well.

I LOVE that Alcazar song--I still find it bizarre that Alcazar didn't manage to break into Eurovision with it--but the Swedish entries usually have a lot more competition I guess.

• Members

Too camp for YOU? That is saying something! smile.png "Crucify" was totally HUGE when I was clubbing, there was never an empty spot on the floor when that came on. Another from that time, which I consider to be the BEST disco song of the Post-disco era, has got to be this, for me, there is no other:

Italodisco was mentioned earlier... I think this one is considered that.... it's another one that I NEVER get tired of:

• Members

This doesn't sound a lot like a Donna Summer song to me.

This is also odd.

allmusic mentions these and the Fairy Tale High song as important as they acknowledged her gay audience.

I wish there were a version of Pandora's Box on Youtube which isn't a remix. I've never heard the song.

Reading her allmusic reviews, they talked about a "sexy" calendar she made for the four seasons, and so on. It's tough to see her doing that type of thing - it seems like her career hit its biggest heights once she was marketed less for sexuality.

Archived