GH: Character to go through menopause

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can't do any haha or big camp out of menopause, or rape, so I'm not too surprised FV/RC dropped that story. With that said I'm not sure Wolf would have kept it either - there seemed to be some Alexis stories which were quickly cut (like her talking about some curse or secret).

• Members

I thought you were going to post the Nora OLTL clips.

You're right, it can be used in a sitcom which discusses topical issues. I just don't think today's soaps would write that. Guza wouldn't, Wolf apparently didn't, and RC would only write about it if she got raped out of love or Tuc Watkins sold her kooky estrogen.

• Members

lol…. she got pregnant with the "wrong" buy three times. I think she's done her duty.

The thing is I would love to blame this on Soap Sexism, but it really isn't. Women put these standards and dismissive attitudes on each other first, which only gives the writers permission to incorporate them into the story. No matter how well it might be written, it will never be like Golden Girls. Can you just imagine Tracy, Bobbie, Monica, Alexis and Diane sitting around talking about hot flashes, dryness, fluctuating libido, mood swings? It would be great for a lot of us, but not so for a lot of puritanical fans who don't want to deal with real bodies. Women's bodies are for sex and babies, not fun and frustration. When might we get a discussion on Erectile Disfunction? Can Luke really pleasure all those women without assistance? Age alone is why I don't believe all his tales of conquest. And what about poor Mac - does it even rise anymore?

I don't know…. taken to it's logical conclusion I can understand the hesitancy with today's audience. The erotic imagination of violence seems a million times more acceptable than the erotic imagination of bodily functions.

• Members

I strongly disagree. Women simply latch onto the sexism and degradation our patriarchal society dishes out. It trickles down the same way racism and homophobia and every other bad thing does (mostly from straight males).

• Members

IMO and experience it's far more complicated than that. The Sisterhood is a myth and women are often more cruel to each other than men ever thought of being. Arguably cultural background and attitudes inform all of this, but it's not as simple as saying we have found the source of the evil and it's straight men.

Archived