Former Soap Actor Commits Suicide

• Members

More to the story

The condo board member is a real Bitch this is why I would never buy a condo

http://www.tmz.com/2...or-dog-suicide/

Soap Actor's Suicide Condo Board Member Accepts NO Responsibility

A member of the condo board that Nick Santino said pressured him to euthanize his pit-bull -- a decision that drove him to suicide -- says the condo board is NOT responsible for his death.

Board member Marilyn Fireman says she is sorry that Santino is dead, but says it has nothing to do with the building's no-pet policy. She tells the NY Post, "You just assumed that [his suicide] was a result of a board’s decision."

Fireman did concede Santino routinely complained about the building’s anti-dog policies.

Santino's sister tells the paper the family is holding off on funeral arrangements until the dead dog's ashes are brought home ... saying, "They'll be buried together."

Santino had his beloved and healthy pit-bull Rocco put to sleep on Tuesday, Santino's 47th birthday. A few hours later, he overdosed on pills.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stupid? You ever walked in the shoes of someone so depressed that the loss of anything is to much to bare? I have. If I would have lost my Lady during any one of my major depressive cycle's I wouldn't have recovered. Period. You can't handle a loss like that. When you're that close to the edge, and that far gone, all you have to do is be pushed just slightly, and it's all over.

I don't know why so many people think depression is funny or stupid. It's real. it's paralyzing and it's often so bad you can't get out no matter how hard you try or how hard you want too. I don't think he could have just moved with the dog; because the apartment is no longer just an apartment when you're in that state. it's probably one of the few places he felt safe.

I had stare down with a bottle of sleeping pills, and if my sister wouldn't have come into our room when she did...I don't know what I would have done. I have been where he was, and I know exactly how hopeless he was. What saved me, besides my sister walking in when she did, was a friend who said this is it. If you don't get help, I'm never speaking to you again. I can't. Not when you're like this. Not when effecting my mental health too. So, I had to face up to it all.

It's been almost 3 years since my last cycle, and I feel better than ever. I do it without pills, and without theapry, though I did that. I just chose to regulate myself and control it the best way I can, through diet, exercise and me time. One day that might not be enough anymore, but for now, I'm happy to be one of the few to beat the stats.

This is so tragic and I feel so sorry of him and his family. sad.png

PS Depression is EASY to hide. My whole family is clueless that I was suffering as is my best friend of almost 19 years. There's a reason they don't know, but it's horrible to assume that just because he has a family and girlfriend that they failed at trying to help him, or that they didn't.

• Members

all Co-Op board members are nightmares. If you think about it, who would seek out such a role except someone wanting someone to listen to them and with the power to render decisions they don't curently have. I remember my board spent a full year in some bogus committee debating what color to paint the walls. I have no doubt every member of that board is a horror show sight unseen, because every member of every board I have ever seen has been one. And worse then the members is the managing agent, who act like they are the king of the building.

As to the matter of pit bulls, this is a real issue. All pit bull owners insist their dogs are darlings, yes the stats in NYC clearly show pit bulls had more reported bite incidents than all other breeds combined. (followed by rottweillers and chihuahas). When one moved into my building the first time I entered the elevator with him I had a touch of anxiety about it.

• Members

I have to admit, I am always a little bit anxious around pitbulls. I've had close friends get bitten by one, and it's very scary. Like you said, every pitbull owner insists that their pitbull is different, but i'm never convinced. I can understand that the board would want Pitbulls out of the building - but if the rules said that he could keep Rocco because he owned him prior to the ruling, then they should NOT have harassed him about it. Disgusting

• Members

They need to be socialized, with humans and especially other dogs, from a very early age. They also need tons of exercise and I can see how this is a problem in NY. A crated all day pit is like a wound up rubber band and when you combine that with poor socialization, it is a disaster waiting to happen. They are extremely affectionate dogs but they are of course bred for fighting, the bull part, and for speed and agility, the terrier part. You can get a nasty bite from a Dalmatian or a Lab too, but the fact is, the pit is by design bred with a powerful jaw so it's also a matter of them being better equipped to do damage just by DNA. I have been bit by one and yes it hurt and yes it took some work to pry it off of me, but no, their jaws do not "lock", that's a myth.

And ITA with quartermaine fan about co-op/condo board people, he described our old board to a tee. What a bunch of no-life loser loons.

• Members

What a tragic story, my heart goes out to him, and to have to put down a healthy dog is tragic, I think that would drive anyone over the edge. My cat is my kid, the only kid I ever want, I wouldn't be able to handle it if something happened to her.

People like these building owners disgust me, they should hold some responsibility, as should the other tenants who harassed him

• Members

I don't even like animals, and this story really did make me sad. I'm actually a very odd person. I've never been that attached to an animal, because I actually hate most animals, but I totally understand how some people really consider their animals family and stories like this break my heart. :(

• Members

Really? I can't wrap my mind around anyone hating animals LOL. they're the most loyal loving creatures on this earth, I'd befriend an animal before I would a person, animals don't betray, bully, backstab or cheat, etc... smile.png

I think that's a first, but I can respect it smile.png

The thought of putting down a healthy animal makes my stomach turn & makes me angry, I can't believe he had no other choice, but I don't blame him. My heart breaks so much for what he went through

• Members

I take that back. I don't HATE animals. I just don't like. First of all, because they smell. Second of all, I don't like anything that I have to take care of around the clock, that can't go to the bathroom without my help, or that can't get food by itself. It's the same problem that I have with babies.

• Members

I agree with you SoapBoy 110%. I got bitten and knocked down by a dog when I was really young and that put me off dogs for the rest of my life, but I do understand how much pets can mean to people and how attached people get to them.

It's just such a sad, sad story. I hope he's finally able to find peace.

• Members

Somehow it just seems especially awful because animals can be a source of unconditional love for someone who is mentally ill. An animal can stand by a person when another person can't (or even shouldn't). Then he had to give that up and lost all hope.

Archived