Days Promo: Sami/Will/Carrie/Rafe (Wk 30th Jan 2012)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

More tantrums from Will. Chandler Massey is being dragged down by this stuff - these bad habits are going to cost his acting in the long run.

The promo isn't bad, but they shouldn't have focused on the Rafe/Carrie stuff at all.

• Members

I think he's a good actor who due to the writing and lack of time falls on a lot of bad habits. It's just crying and screaming and all very fake. He has a natural quality which has been removed thanks to the stupid decision that he must be Sami 2.0.

• Members

I don't think Sweeney gets enough credit for this. Not every actor can do this as we can see in that promo let alone do this for the better part of three decades. She has a lot of limitations (she's a horrible crier and plays a horrible heroine/victim) but she plays a damn good villain and was pretty much born to play the classic soap bitch. More importantly though, she can totally build up a scene with dramatic tension and execute a brilliant follow through that's pretty seamless. I respect that aspect of her craft. She is a strong hard actress, I just wish they would stop trying to portray Sami as some down-trodden heroine it's beyond annoying and borderline insulting when you read her list of crimes and offenses. It's like they are trying to make her Marlena, and that just isn't going to work.

• Members

I think they've always been confused about how to write her, made much worse when they tried to make her the new heroine in early 2007. The problem is Sweeney isn't an overly sympathetic actress and the character doesn't work as a victim.

I do think she can play self-destructive and angry and tough, and when they write Sami as destroying her own life, this can be entertaining.

When they write Sami as more poor-me, and have all this ambiguity, it just drags the scenes down. For instance, the circumstances of her sex with EJ are probably easy to forgive compared to many of her other acts, so Will's endless bitch fits about it just make him look kind of pathetic. And they also pushed Carrie/Rafe so fast that this has removed most of the power of the secret about Sami/EJ. Rafe is already falling in love with Carrie, even though Sami is supposedly devoted to him.

• Members

I love these promo's tongue.png

But I hate to say this, but while Sami slept with EJ out of despair, Rafe is actually kissing Carrie out of lust and dare I say love. He just comes off worse, even though I know Sami is just as much in the wrong.

And Will whistling.jpg ....what made Sami 1.0 great was that WHILE she cried ALOT, she was also one hell of an entertaining super bitch. It seems Will has only picked up on one of her traits. I like that they are trying to make him Sami 2.0, but they are picking the worst qualities of his predecessor.

• Members

I think that's definitely part of it, but I also think that the way Sami was written in the past has also been a problem too by the way of making her sympathetic. She has never been likable and you always waited for other characters to come in to make her pay for her actions. Sami at her core was mean. She was always this malicious character who sought to hurt people in vicious ways to get what she wanted. She had her reasons for that, but Sami was always destructive and angry, but even beneath all that anger was a kind of true malevolence that couldn't be denied. You can't conceivably make that sympathetic.Trying to force this pollyanna version of the character has never worked for the show or her.

I never got the appeal of Safe. It just mostly seemed to be an alternative to Ej/Sami which some fans were skeeved about. I don't see how Rafe is any different from Lucas at this point. What's the point of this love triangle again? We get it Carrie is Marcia and Sami is Jane. Everyone must love Princess Carrie more then stumpy Samantha, can we move on now?

• Members

There were more valid, and slower-paced, reasons for her to be what she was.

Much of the time, Massey reminds me of a Drake Hogestyn parody, and the crying/screaming is something I don't even know where it's from. I think he has the ability to be a lot more than that.

They want her to face what she is but they don't want to go all the way. Even in this story, quite a bit of the material has been reshaped to make her seem like a victim.

• Members

I think with Van it was more because he became Mr. Look it at me Now...I am it....then he was paired with bad actors like Silbermann.....he starting getting better again once ESS came in. Van kind of admitted he was bored before ESS came on.

I dont think Chandler is that bad...he like Van is getting some bad advice from some bad actors on the show.

Off topic but what is the purpose of Austin??.

• Members

Van was likable, believable and watchable, sadly enough in daytime for a male actor that puts you ahead of the pack generally speaking. I go back and forth on if Luke was a limiting role or if Van didn't utilize all the ways to play his character.

Archived