Days Promo: Sami/Will/Carrie/Rafe (Wk 30th Jan 2012)

• Members

This has nothing to do with homophobia. Carl has pointed out Sami spent a good part of 2 years crying and AS is an awful crier, probably because someone told her heroines cry even though Marlena never cried non stop in all her years as a heroine nor did Jennifer years back.

I tend to disagree on CM looking like he.s acting although his scenes with Sami/AS are the least real to me. He's actually quite natural in his scenes with Marlena/DH and I enjoy the studf with EJ even if it can be borderline cartoonish.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am sorry I don't buy that the directors told JJ to cry nonstop. He as an actor came to use it as a crutch. Tony Geary got as much heavy material as JJ and I did.t see his eyes turn red in every scene. If thats the only way you can emote, as all JJ does to emote is to cry, get watery eyes, or yell, that shows limited range.CM has more charisma and warmth on screen than JJ so I am not ready to put him in the same league yet.

• Members

I actually have to dissagree with you. We are talking about Days, the same show that literally almost reuses the same script over and over again and the same plots over and over again. Chandler is given the material and told what to do by the directors and writers. They tell him to cry, he will cry.

• Members

This argument certainly has merit. Female actresses can cry all day and it's largely seen as being good acting, while with male's in Daytime you almost never expect it and those male actors who are more sensitive actors tend to be derided for it. It's so odd. Some of this is Daytime's own fault. There's a reason why soaps are ruled by tyrant jerks like Victor Newman, Sonny Corinthois, Jason Morgan and EJ DiMera and why you almost never see characters like Luke Snyder, Lucky Spencer and Will Horton on soaps anymore. It's the same way with Primetime. Men are supposed to be "men" and somehow that translates to giving very little in terms of performance and emotion. Sad case but definitely true. Men who are sensitive and who do have a tendency to cry get called "wimpy" and are insulted for giving more emotionally in tuned performances. Yet those same female performers could cry for days and not get one eighth of the criticism.

When have posters here ever praised a performance with a man crying though? It largely seems to be the opposite. Any time any male character cries posters here seem to hate it. I don't necessarily think it's homophobic, but it does show a gender norm at play here. Why is it okay for Sami to cry for years when her man of the month walks out on her, but it's wrong for Lucky or Will to cry when their family implodes or when their child dies?

I don't agree with this at all. Tony Geary certainly used the "I'm not going to cry " technique tons of time during his last stint on the show. He used it a ton of times when Laura cameback, again when he ran over Jake and pretty much whenever he has a heavy scene that warrants the crying emotion. Same as JJ.

• Members

Most of Geary's work has been comedy for awhile now so he would have no need to "cry everyday" as you so put it. His entire relationship with Tracey is played for laughs, he ignores Lulu and he uses Ethan as a play toy to plan more schemes. Luke's character is relatively light and has been for years now. The two situations can't be compared. Lucky had several storylines where his emotional state was warranted -- look what he went through the two years he was on. His fiance had an affair with his brother, his wife died, his child died and he relapsed back into his drug addiction. All JJ had to do for two years was drama which was precisely the reason he left because they gave him no light scenes to work with and the writers completely dismantled his flagship pairing. Geary has utilized his tear ducts many a time when he had similar stories. He was a blubbering baby when Laura cameback in 06', he was a mess just this past year over the death of his son's adopted child. When Geary got emotional stories he cried just like whenever JJ got emotional stories he cried. Most of the time JJ and Geary where in a scene together they were both on the verge of tears anyway so I don't even see how this comparison was made.

Archived