The Decline and Fall of the Kardashian Empire

quartermainefan

• Members

You may not have to keep up with the Kardashians much longer.

Everything the reality family touches turns absolutely toxic — with party promoters, magazine editors and television execs all scrambling to blacklist them, insiders told The Post.

Ratings for the family’s reality show have plummeted, sales of magazines with Kim Kardashian’s mug go unsold, and her products are unmarketable, insiders say.

Promoters were doling out thousands of dollars so Kim and sisters Kourtney and Khloe would hit their hot spots. And Kim was once paid $600,000 to spend New Year’s Eve at Tao Las Vegas.

kardashians--300x300.jpg

BELLADONNA: Entertainment honchos say the Kardashians are now poison in the industry, with party promoters avoiding them like the plague and their TV ratings tanking.

Now it’s the total opposite.

“I’d pay her $600,000 personally not to go to Red Egg,” said Travis Bass, referring to the Chinatown hot spot he co-owns. “Kim Kardashian would be crushing to us. We’d have a meeting Monday and talk about how that happened.”

The wheels came off Kardashian’s caboose in October, when she filed for divorce from Nets forward Kris Humphries after 72 days of a sham marriage.

E!’s Kardashian TV franchise — “Keeping up with the Kardashians” — suffered a 14 percent dip in Nielsen ratings, from 3.5 million viewers per episode last season to 3 million this season.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If the part about their magazine sales and the bad blood in the industry is true, then that might take a big toll. The ratings - considering they are overexposed and the divorce was a PR disaster, that's not much of a drop. Compare it to the fall with "Kate Plus Eight".

• Members

Forbes reporter bitch slaps NY Post ;)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghancasserly/2012/01/13/kim-kardashian-kashing-in-sorry-new-york-post/2/

Kardashian Klan Still Kashing In (Sorry New York Post)

“You may not have to keep up with the Kardashians much longer,” says Brian Niemietz in today’s New York Post, trashing the glossy-haired TV family for falling ratings, lost contracts and a decline in magazine covers that he says are a result of the fallout of Kim Kardashian’s 72-day marriage to Nets power forward Kris Humphries.

The Kardashians–and the facts–are less than impressed.

The story comes across less as well-researched and more cat-fight mean. A statement illustrating a decline in nightclub hosting gigs for Kim is attributed to the owner of a single New York City restaurant (also the single source in the story). A decline in advertising endorsements is attributed to the expiration of the contract of a single brand.

As someone who keeps a close (klose?) eye on the family as a part of the ongoing valuations of our Celebrity 100, my interest was piqued. And not in a good way. The piece reads suspiciously like a non-story, and one in desperate need of fact-checking. Well, Niemietz, I’m more than happy to spend my Friday obliging you.

Let’s explore these statements one by one with a little bit of “reporting.”

No. 1: Ratings for “Keeping Up with The Kardashians” fell 14% this season

Seems like Niemietz might have trouble keeping his “K’s” straight.

According to a spokesperson at E!, far from seeing a ratings drop, the Kardashian clan has delivered boom ratings in early 2012.

This season of Kourtney and Kim Take New York is averaging its highest in four seasons with over 3 million total viewers each week—up 43% from the prior season of Kourtney and Kim Take New York. The most recent Sunday night premiere broke records as the most-watched ever, averaging 3.3 million viewers

The network, which confirms that Kourtney and Kim Take New York is its No. 1 program this season, sees these numbers as a good indication of the staying power of this show, the continued interest in the family and the overall success of the franchise in general including Keeping Up with the Kardashians and Khloe & Lamar.

No. 2: Party promoters say having a Kardashian host nightclub events would be a “disaster for business.”

Reached by phone today Travis Bass, the co-owner of Tribeca’s Red Egg, an upscale Chinese restaurant and “downtown night club,” says he spoke to Niemietz to explain that an appearance by the Kardashian’s would not benefit his establishment, because his “ultra-hip clientele” would view it as a “sell-out move.” He’s quoted as saying he would pay Kardashian not to come to Red Egg, but told me today that Red Egg has never actually paid a celebrity to make an appearance, nor has it ever held a celebrity-hosted event. “We’re no Las Vegas nightclub,” he told me.

Speaking of Vegas, Niemietz writes: “Promoters were doling out thousands of dollars so Kim and sisters… would hit their hot spots. And Kim was once paid $600,000 to spend New Years Eve at Tao in Las Vegas.”

Ahem…once? Kim hosted New Year’s Eve at Tao less than a month ago, as she has for several years. “It’s a tradition to ring in the new year here at Tao!” says Kardashian. While the family won’t confirm how much they received for the 2012 gig, the rumored number is a very familiar $600,000. “Tao for New Year was Kim’s first appearance post-divorce,” says Kim’s publicist Jill Fritzo, who says she receives as many, if not more, requests for appearances by Kim post-divorce than she has in recent years. “If she’s been lying low, that’s Kim saying ‘I need to take a break.’”

No. 3: Tabloid covers see sales dropping as a result of Kardashian covers

“There has been a shift in the way America views the Kardashians since Kim’s divorce,” concedes Dan Wakeford, editor-in-chief of Life & Style, who was not contacted by the Post. But the interest in them is stronger than ever. Magazine covers featuring the Kardashians have consistently sold well for Life & Style.

According to an industry source, the week referenced in the Post was unique in that four magazines in the celebrity weekly category had put the family on their cover, which saturates the newsstands and has been known to soften sales. However, all four magazines–US, ITW, L&S and OK!—still delivered average or slightly below average sales that week. That is a normal fluctuation when one cover model graces the cover of four magazines in the same week.

US Weekly boasted two best-selling Kardashian covers post-divorce: “Kim: the Husband from Hell” and “Kourtney: Yes I’m Pregnant,” while Life & Style’s early December “Kris Sues Kim” was one of the highest sellers of the 4th quarter. In similar rumor-busting Kardashian news, In Touch’s issue featuring the headline “Kardashians: Destroyed By Greed,” was also one of the highest selling of the quarter for the publication.

It’s no secret that, when it comes to celebrity weeklies, the Kardashians command more in market share than any other personality, something insiders say has only increased in the past year. But it’s not just tabloids that continue to capitalize on the Kardashian’s glossy hair and ever-increasing fame. Solo Kim covers for Glamour and Cosmopolitan were the magazines’ top-selling issues of 2011 and we’ll be seeing her next on the cover of Allure.

No. 4: Kim Kardashian was “replaced” as the face of shoe brand Skechers—by a French bulldog

“Kim Kardashian has had a tremendously positive effect on the Skechers brand,” says Leonard Armato, the president of Fitness and CMO of Skechers. “While Kim’s contract with Skechers simply came to an end at the end of last year, we continue to have a great relationship with her. To say that she was “dropped” or “replaced” is misleading and untrue. Skechers has enjoyed and continues to enjoy the relationship with Kim, and in fact we continue to discuss ways that we may work together in the future.”

Not only was Kardashian not “replaced” by an animal, Skechers is only one of close to a dozen endorsement deals and partnerships that Kim’s name is attached to according to a source with knowledge of her contracts. “The expiration of a single contract is hardly an indicator of the decline of such a massive brand.” Suzy Weiss-Fischman, the executive vice president of O.P.I. nail polish, which launched a Kardashian Kolor line in October that is seeing strong sales says the family’s personal lives “have no effect on our business relationship whatsoever.”

As for No. 5 on Niemietz’s list, that Kris Humphries is the most hated player in the NBA, I’ll leave it to my esteemed colleagues Michael Ozanian and Tom Van Riper.

There you have it, folks. Seems like we’ll be seeing much and more of Kim, Kourtney, Khloe and Kris in coming months. As for Keeping up with the Post, well, you might want to check your sources.

• Members

well maybe both are. It's not like it is either one or the other. The lack of education dumbs down America. Being dumber, they seek out the most moronic shows possible, further rotting the brain. With brain rot now in high gear, education has to be dumbed down even further so someone can graduate, and the cycle continues.

And I say with pride not only do I not know who Rob is, but I take pride in not knowing.

• Members

Clearly, you know he is a Kardashian because you took the time to enter a post about - wait for it - the Kardashians!

And that right there is why they are famous. Even people who dont know who they are take the time to comment on them, and their impact on our culture.

• Members

That's insulting to me. I consider myself a smart person and know others way smarter than me that watch. Its just a tv show it has nothing to do with your intelligence. If watching the Kardashians' daily life entertains me I'm gonna watch. I'm wondering what exactly is smart programming bc soaps would be nowhere near that category.

• Members

I don't judge anyone for finding them interesting. I think back on the original reality show, what was that family's name? I know Carl will know. There's just something fascinating about watching a real-life family dynamic. Especially when it's non-scripted reality. However. I take issue with the prevalent "stan" culture of today where people take this [!@#$%^&*] too far, being incensed to the point of violence "protecting" the name of the Kardashians, the Beyonces, the Biebers of this world. These people who don't do a damn thing for them but "entertain" and collect their money. It's not that deep, and I think fans like that do in fact contribute to the dumbing down of society with their skewed sense of priority.

• Members

But it isn't reality, and while there may not be a word for word script, I think it is without question they know what ground they want to cover for every scene before the cameras start rolling. It isn't a real life family dynamic in any way whatsoever. How real was that wedding? I can't think of one thing entertaining about them or fascinating.

Archived