ALL: Your 5 Favourite storylines

• Members

Hard to limit to 5 but here goes:

1. Doug & Julie's romance (and I include in that Doug eloping with Addie, Hope's birth, Addie's death, Julie marrying Bob Anderson & losing their baby, etc.) (Days)

2. Mickey/Laura/Bill & the secret of Michael's paternity (Days)

3. Quint & Nola's romance (GL)

4. Steve & Betsy's romance (ATWT)

5. Salem Strangler (Days)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DAYS:

1) 1983-84 Salem Slasher: Somewhat anonymously builds, but then it kicks it into high gear and stays that way for about six months. The concert hall finale is quite satisfying.

2) 1985 Richard Cates & Miami: Days would get five years of mileage off these twin storylines. Cates ended in October, so Days had a quickie Miami story, which could get #2 all by itself. For a one-month storyline, it's loaded.

3) 1988 Stefano's Island: I've recently began going through that one and uploading clips as what had been online wasn't the greatest of quality. I hadn't watched it in its entirety until now. It gets chastised a good bit for its revelation that Shane had known Roman was alive but didn't tell anyone. In context, it's so much easier to swallow as the writers had so much respect for the history of the show. The problem isn't this storyline, it's that everyone dropped the ball in 1989. So many small things going on and working together.

4) 1994 Maison Blanche: The first real storyline I got into, as I started watching in 1993. I have lots of sentimentality for this one.

5) 1986 Pawn: John Black, KGB and several underlying stories with Victor.

• Members

Y&R

Victor/Nikki/Ashley triangle and Victor/Jack rivalry have basically fueled the storylines for the better part of the last 25 or so years.

Victor takes over Jabot, the one that started the numerous Jabot/Newman corporate wars.

Lauren/Sheila rivalry, which carried over to B&B and lead to the rise of that show.

Who shot Victor, the last great who done it.

• Members

I tend to go more by moments than stories, so this is tough. It's especially tough with GL because GL was my character show, not a story show.

In no particular order, and I could edit this 500 times but will just go with my gut.

1. Lisa's malpractice suit against John, and all the fallout (ATWT)

2. The LOVING murders (Loving)

3. Margo pulls the plug on Casey (ATWT)

4. Maria Roberts gone wild (OLTL)

5. Who Shot Jake? (AW)

• Members

I hesitate adding this, since I never watched it, but I do feel Mac/Rachel/Iris on ANOTHER WORLD was an interesting variation on the tried-and-true love triangle. Instead of two women vying for one man's romantic affections, you had a daughter (Iris) in constant competition with her stepmother (Rachel), who was roughly the same age as she, for the attentions of her father (Mac). Whenever you have a more traditional love triangle, I think you always run the risk either of stories becoming repetitive, or of the heavy becoming too over-the-top and unbelievable in his-or-her actions. However, with Mac/Rachel/Iris's situation, you had a fertile playing ground that yielded years of interesting stories, because it was never that simple just for Mac to stop loving Iris or remove her from his life entirely.

• Members

I agree with you. That story and, frankly, a lot of late 60's or most 70's AW, I would love to list, but I can't since I've seen almost none of it.

I was tempted to put the Janice story but again I haven't seen all of it, and I had to take some points off for the murder trial with Mitch, and the endless episodes spent on hysteria over a book.

• Members

For never having seen it, you've summed it up quite well! The added complication was that Mac felt responsible for the woman Iris had become because he had been neglectful in her youth. That guilt was always an undercurrent in Doug Watson's work, and it helped explain why Mac couldn't just cut Iris out of his life.

And Carl, you're quite correct that the Janice story went off the rails more than a few times, but the St. Croix sequence was so freakin' perfect in every detail, at least to my teenage self, that it erases all the surrounding bumps for me.

• Members

I just wish I could see Christine Jones' performance. Some of the few clips I've seen of her towards the end are spellbinding - the madness is all over her, it's like an elixir that has drawn her in, yet not in the generic crazytown way you see on most shows on films. There's something so hypnotic about her work, and deathly quiet and eerie.

It was such a wise decision to have the familiar characters, both so hot-blooded and passionate (Mac, Rachel) balanced by sleek, quiet, very strange and dangerous figures (Mitch, Janice). That story could have gone on for years.

• Members

Carl, loved seeing your choice of Lisa's malpractice case against John as your top choice. What a great story, since it sprung from the whole Grimaldi storyline. I have NEVER been a fan of Eileen Fulton. Like Susan Lucci, she's always gotten by on over-the-top mannerisms and scenery-chewing. But I must admit that during this plotline, she rose above her usual tricks and delivered a fantastic performance. She richly deserved an Emmy for her subdued but powerful performance as a woman consumed by grief and revenge, but was she even nominated? I can't remember.

It's ironic, that immediately after this s/l played out, the worst period in ATWT began, with the awful Stern/Black regime.

• Members

In no particular order:

1. The Jack/Erica/Travis storyline

2. Michael Cambias - from his first meeting with Kendall to the birth of Miranda (I wasn't a fan of the baby switch).

3. Adam and Erica's first marriage, from him shipping off Mike Roy through his eventual "divorce" from Erica.

4. The Proteus storyline, because Marj Dusay was amazing as Vanessa.

5. David and Erica in lust/love because they were seriously hot together.

• Members

1. The early/mid-'90s Lord saga (Lord of the Banner/Dorian on death row/Irene's diary/Viki's DID)

2. Kendall is Erica's daughter (Richard Fields, et cetera)

3. Natalie in the well

4. Stone's AIDS and Monica's breast cancer

5. Erica/Silver/Goldie/Dr. Lazarre (really enjoyed this as a kid)

Archived