Y&R (also all): Carolyn Hinsley's Afternoon Delight and her views on MAB

• Members

I have read the book Afternoon Delight: Why Soaps Still Matter and as a person who wants to be in the soap industry as a writer (been watching since 1990) I found it a good read...except for one thing. I copied and pasted this from my kindle app and want to know what you all think of this:

Maria Arena Bell, protégé and daughter-in-law of legendary creator William J. Bell, is head writer and executive producer of this show, which has been #1 for 22 years in a row. Her family (Hi, the Bells) still owns a big piece of it; her husband, William J. Bell, Jr. oversees the show. Hopefully, no one is messing with Maria’s stories or vision, which was her late father- in-law’s cardinal rule. Victor, Nikki, Jack and Katherine remain sheer gold; and Phyllis, Ashley, Nick, Sharon, Billy, Victoria, Michael, Lauren, Neil, Jill, Kevin, Chloe, Gloria, etc. rotate in and out of story beautifully.

With the state of the show right now at the time of this book and beforehand, this bothers me. I know this book was released early summer of this year (June 14th according to Amazon) and possibly finished around the time AMC and OLTL's cancellations were announced but I think there were major problems long before that she fails to realize. Daisy and Meggie ate up all of the time before the doppelgangers storyline was released. I personally think Maria doesn't really write much of anything and lets Hogan do all of the work. And while I loved Hogan's early work on ATWT he has grown to be just as much of a hack as other hacks that have been recycled on daytime soaps. I don't think she is respecting William J. Bell's history. If she was, the show would be just as good now as it was during his era. If she was a true protege, she would write good material and get Sony to fire Hogan and the writer or writers left over from LML.

</rant>

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hinsey represents the soap media, and the soap media carried water for MAB for years. Some likely always will.

I have to laugh at the idea of any of the characters she mentioned rotating "in and out of story beautifully." Lauren has rotated offcamera for the better part of the last three years. And the show has absolutely no idea what to do with Sharon or Phyllis, which is embarrassingly clear and has been for several years.

• Members

Just curious SoapBoy94, how long have you been watching Y&R for? When did you start?

Hinsey's a hack, we all know that, we all read that delicious Jossip thread explosion years ago (some of us, including yours truly contributed to it). She'll get on her knees (or any other position for that matter) and say anything for any soap exec so long as it gives her something to write about. Praise for Y&R has all but dried up...but critical praise doesn't even matter anymore. The ratings do the talking and they're screaming at Y&R for being total shite.

• Members

Eh they have agenda too and were the leaders of the OLTL vs AMC tirade. They also laud Carvalati like he is the second coming and praised Bob Guza even after he was fired. They might be objective about some things but overall they have huge biases and were praising MAB for a long time too.

• Members

I started in the mid(ish) '90s. I quit for a bit in like 2001/2002. Started watching semi-regularly again in 2003, watched a couple times a week for a few years, and now i've been watching daily again since 2007.

Also, I've seen quite a bit of the 80's via VHS tapes and YouTube.

• Members

I really do still enjoy it, and I know that's an uncommon opinion. Yes, the "Golden Age" was great, but I still enjoy Y&R more than any other soap on the air. Maybe it's different than it used to be. But unlike shows such as GH, it still, IMO, has heart left in it.

• Members

Hiney is just as big a hack as MAB or Sheffer. How she could write that with a straight face is beyond comphrension.

My advice: Hiney shouldn't enter a church, and no one should chance standing within half a mile of the lyin' bitch.

Archived