Your Soap's Best Location Shoot?

• Members

In this day of tightened budgets, a location shoot could either be Peapack, N.J. or your Aunt Martha's backyard. But back in the day, when soaps were rolling in dough, they had some glorious settings for their featured storylines. I remember on ATWT, Emily Stewart went to the Amalfi Coast with Royce Keller. The scenery was breathtaking. There was also a wonderful shoot at some castle when Frannie Hughes thought her husband Darryl was trying to kill her. I can still picture it to this day. What exotic locales do you remember from YOUR soap?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I missed most of the 80s ones (and would kill to see ones like AMC's 1978 St Croix one), but from my time being a regular viewer, it definitely was AMC's Budapest shoot. i remember it going on at least 2 weeks (granted, with a lot of studio stuff interspersed) and loved every moment (OK, Dimitri did look ridiculous in those pants he wore in his Count outfit). It still annoys me to no end that none of this has popped up on youtube. The following year I think (1993--for a while it seemed like they'd have a location shoot every year) Tad/Ted?Dixie in the Canadian wilderness did amuse me just because it was... Canada. I remember the voodoo 1997 Jamaica one being a bit of a mess.

• Members

GL's Puerto Rico (as San Cristobel) in 1999

GL's Florida island (Reva and the Hunky Island Man) in 1998, that included a boat trip back to the U.S. where a feverish Reva saw a lighthouse as they were rowing ashore and said something schmaltzy about it.

DAYS' Hawaii (for John & Marlena honeymoon) in 1999

I'll even credit PASSIONS for their first couple weeks using location shoots to establish Harmony, as well as Sheridan Crane in Paris, France.

• Members

GH had a lot of good location shoots in the 80s. My personal favorite was when GH went on location in Texas (doubling for Mexico) in 1984. Tony Geary guest starred on the show at the time and Robert & Luke went on an adventure together. That was my favorite time for them. TG and TR looked like they were having so much fun. We also had Robert & Holly in a swimming pool together, Laura (Genie came back for a brief time as well) telling Luke that she was pregnant with Lucky, Frisco & Felicia falling in love and we were introduced to Sean Donely. Those were great times. I miss them.

• Members

AW's Mac, Rachel, Mitch and Janice in St. Croix is my all-time favorite location shoot. I think it was 1979.

I also liked Days' jaunts to Florida (for the Shane-Kimberly-Victor story), Mexico (Bo, Billie, John & Marlena), and Greece (Adrienne, Justin, John & Diana).

Archived