Classic AMC/OLTL

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think Megan had a clear agenda outside of being the first writer to give Erica a long lost son. The storyline was virtually the same one they did with Kendell a decade earlier just with a male Kane. It's not as if other writers didn't play with that possibility before. Ryan, Leo and Trey were all characters they played with being Erica's long lost son's too at one point. Megan just finally took the leap with Josh. Jeff was always a means to an end, all she wanted was a male Kane heir and there were only so many pregnancies Erica had to chose from and she chose the one with Jeff.

I've never understood the hypocrisy concerning how Erica was able to keep Maddie from Maria but Babe and Krystal were evil incarnate for wanting to keep Miranda. If anything I think Babe had the more harrowing experience out of the two of them and had to deal with harsher realities then Erica did in a similar storyline. Even Kendell herself kept Ryan in the dark about Emma's paternity for weeks if not months, how exactly are these women any better? I've never gotten it. I've come to the conclusion that because a woman is a Kane that means they can do whatever the hell they want and if anyone else does the same they will be massacred for it. It's one of the reasons why I can't stand those two Kane women.

It was never almost a year though. It was more like 8 months.

• Members

Ryan donated sperm anonymously. He never had ANY right to know if ANY child was conceived from that act - anonymous sperm donors aren't told, and they don't have parental rights. Kendall telling him about Emma was a hell of a lot more than he would have otherwise known, so no, I don't feel bad for Ryan that Kendall kept the truth to herself for a few weeks.

Miranda was born in early March and wasn't returned to Bianca until Christmas. That's almost a year.

Erica kept Maddie for four months. She did so because she was grieving the loss of her own baby with Dimitri and because she overheard Dimitri and Maria say that the baby was better off dead. It doesn't excuse what she did, but it does explain her motivation. She also felt horribly guilty about it in the second half or so of the kidnapping and tried to give the baby back on more than one occasion. Krystal knew VERY shortly after the babies were born that "Bess" was Miranda, and she deliberately chose to hide the truth because she didn't want Babe to lose her millionaire husband. Krystal not only let Bianca believe her daughter was dead, she let JR and Adam fall in love with "Bess" and raise her for nearly a year. Then when Babe took off with Jamie and AJ, Krystal let JR believe his son was dead. Even if you look at it charitably and say that Krystal initially kept the truth a secret because she didn't want Babe to grieve, then you have to accept that she made a HORRIBLE decision that would ultimately have caused Babe even MORE pain because the truth about Bess would have eventually come out at some point, by which time Babe would have been raising and loving that little girl, only to have to give her up.

Erica publicly admitted her guilt in court and apologized for it, and she was a social pariah for what she did. She only got out of jail because Bianca was dying and Edmund took pity on her after she figured out that Skye had switched the paternity tests and Edmund was able to get Maddie back from Dimitri. Maria "died" shortly after getting Maddie back, and then came back to Pine Valley years later, but she never forgave Erica for the kidnapping. Bianca eventually forgave Babe and was tolerant enough of Krystal and David that she didn't have a problem moving in with their other daughter.

Krystal went to jail briefly but then returned to her life like it was no big deal. She then married her daughter's father-in-law, and proved that she'd learned aboslutely NOTHING about keeping a child from his or her parents by lying to Tad and Adam about her own baby, which directly resulted in Adam freaking out and pairing up with Janet to hide Jenny from Krystal and Tad.

Sorry, but what Krystal did was far worse than what Erica did, and it had much farther reaching implications for multiple characters. Yes, Erica is a b*tch, and she always has been, but Krystal was a liar, a sneak, and a whore who SOLD one of her own newborn twins, but by reproducing with a sainted Martin, she somehow got turned into this nice lady, the restaurant owner with an edge to her and a heart of gold. Barf.

• Members

What does this have to do with the fact that Kendell and Ryan share a child, are close friends and shouldn't keep secrets from each other? The fact that he was a sperm donor is obsolete, Kendell betrayed him and their friendship by not telling him that Emma a child he bonded with was his child. No amount of technicalities can change that. Kendell was wrong for denying Ryan the information that he was a father to that little girl. It doesn't matter if Ryan was a sperm donor, Kendell knew Ryan, loved Ryan, was a parent to Spike with Ryan and it was abhorrent that Kendell couldn't tell the father of her child and close friend that Emma was his daughter just because she was jealous of Annie. And that was pretty much her only reason. Kendell was petty enough that she just didn't want another woman getting closer to Ryan even while she was married to Zach. Yeah like I said before I don't get how anyone could argue in her favor regarding that one. She had no basis to keep that secret and her motivation was awful. Kendell knew she was wrong as well which was why she was blackmailed by Josh over it. She knew that not telling Ryan, Emma was his was wrong.

Bianca was told Miranda died in late March, she was informed that Miranda was Bess in early December. That's eight months she lost with her because she thought she was dead. The reason she didn't get to have Miranda until Christmas was because she was in a coma for the last month. But she knew she was alive and was placed in her arms as her mother well before that.

More like five. She found Maddie in March and finally decided to tell Maria the truth around late June or early July. To be honest the time frame doesn't matter to me. She still did it. Even if it was only one day, one hour, one week, one month it's still just as sickening. I also don't really care about her reasons. There's no excuse for what Erica did. Erica knew she was wrong, which was why she went about the whole fake adoption in the first place. Jackson knew it was wrong, Esther knew it was wrong, Dimitri knew it was wrong, Edmund knew it was wrong and Maria knew it was wrong, etc. There is no excuse. The fact that she would have gotten away with it had Dimitri not told everyone about it is deplorable.

No. I'm pretty certain Krystal was trying to protect Babe from the "truth" that her baby died more then she was concerned with the money the Chandler's had. She found out in mid to late April and did everything in her power to stop the truth from coming out because she didn't want to have her daughter deal with the fact that it was her baby that died. Which while wrong is totally an understandable motivation. Not out of anger or pettiness like that of the Kane women. That was Krystal's motivation, which is a lot more selfless then Erica and Kendell's. Erica wanted a baby because she was angry at Maria over her affair with Dimitri and she believed that she "deserved" the baby because Maria took her husband. Let's not forget Erica kidnapped the woman in a cabin and threatened to leave her and her child dead just as Maria was going into labor. Erica got what she wanted when everyone thought the baby died a few weeks later. Erica was evil in that storyline and no amount of dressing it up will ever make me forget that. There is no two ways about it and I'm tired of all of her fans acting like she was this down trodden heroine who was victimized by her circumstances.

Erica started all this crap herself and then she was immediately forgiven afterwards by Maria, Edmund, Jackson, Opal and Myrtle. To add insult to injury she got out of jail early because Edmund! The husband of the dead wife she stole the baby from originally. How would fans have felt if Bianca died and Kendell dropped the charges against Babe and Krystal, Ha! You could hear the seething of the Kendellites decades after it happened.

This just blatantly isn't true. As I explained above she had the moral paragon of Pine Valley Myrtle backing her in her court case, Opal stood by her (her best friend) as well as Trevor one of the most respected lawyers in PV. Maria testified on her behalf saying that she forgave Erica and that she felt sorry for her, Edmund got her released from prison early and the inmates treated her like royalty. The only one who hated Erica in that storyline was Dimitri. She was not treated like a social pariah in anyway for what she did. She skated out of prison in early December and Edmund called it an early Christmas present. Yeah Erica "paid" alright.

That's not true either. Seeing as Maria testified for Erica, got her leniency/sympathy and turned the jury in her favor. The storylines are virtually identical to each other, except for the fact that Babe actually was exorcised from the Pine Valley community. She couldn't get a job anywhere in Pine Valley which was why she had to go to the outskirts of town and work at the rundown Roadside bar, she also lost her son. Erica didn't have to lose her daughter for her ridiculousness. On the contrary she used her to get out of jail early.

Jaime and Babe also couldn't get apartments in the city which is why they lived in a garage and even though Babe and Jaime were both working they still had problems paying bills and buying groceries because no one would employ them. Erica didn't have it anywhere near as bad as Babe and Krystal did. Krystal got beat up in prison, while Erica was fawned over. Krystal nearly died in prison because people hated what she did to Bianca. Babe and Krystal "paid" more then Erica did. Erica got rewarded with her own fragrance line soon after the babynapping too. Erica was treated like a princess in jail while Babe and Krystal were persecuted for their actions. Krystal also severed more time then Erica did as well. Erica was only in jail for three months. Krystal was in jail 6 or 7 months.

No it's not. I've come to realize that soap fans seem to only care about their favorite characters and they could care less about what actions they do. There is no difference between what they did and what Erica did. And Erica most certainly is not better then either of them for it just because she is "Erica Kane". If anything she had worse motives for what she did then they did. Babe and Krystal inherited that lie that Paul Cramer told and suffered because they weren't able to tell the truth and live in the world he created for them. Erica created the situation all on her own for her own malicious reasons and Maria had to live through that nightmare. Dressing Maddie up and making Maria feel horrible about the baby she lost while Erica flaunted Sonya around Wildwind. Erica deserved to get mowed down by a car for that.

How is this different from Erica?

And this is more sympathetic then a shallow woman who had an abortion because she didn't want to be fat? Or a woman who hated a child of her's because she had the unfortunate case of having an evil father? Yeah I don't see it. Erica threw away her child as well and she didn't have the excuse that she was poor. Erica has just as many flaws as Krystal does if not more. Just because you personally like her more doesn't give her the moral high ground. Krystal was never presented as a perfect character by any means she always had her flaws, for everything Krystal was I would never say she was a viciously vile woman that Erica has personified on occasions.

• Members

I was catching up on some classic AMC and was rolleyes.gif at Sonny (Zach) and Carla (Kendall) Suarez. What were the writers thinking with that? I was loving Kendall's different look but I wish her and Zach had different alias names. LOL. I mean really.

Bobbie Eakes was *AMAZING* when Babe "died." I did not remember her being that powerful! She gave a brilliant performance in that hospital when she broke down in front of everyone.

• Members

That Miles character was so [!@#$%^&*] ridiculous. Dena Higley piled a zillion ridiculous things into one role. "He's Mitch Laurence's second long-lost brother and Spencer Truman's patient! And he's a 35-year-old virgin! He has to blackmail Marty and kidnap Todd, he doesn't know any better!" It was such a strange, convoluted character and it handicapped poor David Chisum from moment one. But I did think Ron Carlivati finally got a handle on him when he took over, and started the Miles/Roxy thing - or it could've worked if Dorian had, like, molded him into her ideal man or something. I also thought it would have been interesting to see where RC's planned Cramer twist was, making Miles into Blair's brother. That never came to fruition due to the strike - they had set it up with several scenes between Miles and Addie just prior - and Chisum was subsequently let go.

• Members

Matthew is such an annoying POS, played by an equally sh--ty actor. Man did I hate him during his childhood years

I loved Bo and Lindsay 2.0. Its too bad the show threw them away and put him back with Nora. Lindsay was so nice to her in this episode and she had changed at this point but of course Nora didnt let the vendetta go

Did they really try to test Vincent and Natalie?

This was the last time David was tolerable for me. More lowkey and less cartoon

Only watching one episode, Im finding OLTL incredibly boring. Its no wonder I wasnt watching back then

Archived