GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Lucy and Laura meet for the first time 30 years ago. Nice to see two women with a lover in common not have immediate animosity.

Scott leaves the show 2 episodes later. Was Kin planning on leaving before Luke and Laura returned or was this his exit a reaction to their return?

• Members

I wonder.  Because Scott and Lucy were two characters that Wendy really focused on before Labine arrived.  I’m not sure if he was just burnt out (she tried to convince Tristan to stay, and everyone was run down during Monty’s second stint).  I know JE left because she and Wendy were not in agreement with storylines happening with Tracy, specifically her being vocally anti-choice.  Which apparently carried over for Riche’s entire tenure except for a guest spot ABC wanted for the relaunch of The City.  Jane wasn’t welcome back until JFP.

• Members

Was it part of Scotty's apartment when he and Lucy were roommates? After she was done with Tony and before Alan?

ETA: Never mind, earlier posters say it was part of the Katherine Delafield cottage set from 1988-89. I guess they just photographed Lynn and Kin there because it was available. It's better than my first thought, which was that this was Lucy's apartment from 1986, which presumably had already been scrapped as a set.

Edited by Franko

• Members

IIRC Scott left town after getting his heart broken by Katherine's con re: Dominique, and Lucy exposing Katherine at her and Scott's wedding in late late '93, like November or December, like right at the same time L&L came back. (That Scott/Katherine romance happened way too fast after Dom IMO) I assumed Kin was going off to try primetime and movies again. I do remember Scott having a very good scene or two with Laura before that.

I never knew this. I do know they were pushing Scott and Lucy in story (not necessarily together) hard under Riche pre-Labine, when the show was flailing about trying to find anything that worked after Monty II, like Karen, Jagger, the new teens, Scott and Dominique, etc.

Edited by Vee

• Members

He left because the mob was after him and Serena for Domonique's money. In the following episodes after the one I posted they both get kidnapped, escape somehow and then Scott and Lucy have a heartfelt goodbye by Dominique's grave. They also finally name the baby, Serena, because it means "serenity" and that's what she brings them. 

• Members

I don't remember that at all! I thought the 'hiding from bad guys' angle only came in when PC began. I didn't remember that mob element at all from their final scenes at the grave, I'll have to go back and rewatch. Was it Smith's organization or someone else? I thought he was preoccupied with Luke and Laura at that time.

• Members

They did have a nice adult conversation, and Laura went to the wedding that wasn’t IIRC.

Once upon a time I stumbled across an interview with Riche from early in her tenure and she alluded to the friction about that story turn and why Jane was leaving. Something along the lines of Jane’s personal beliefs limiting the drama of the character.  I recall reading an interview with Jane basically saying the same thing, that she felt Tracy would not have an issue with abortion.  I inferred that was why she wasn’t invited back during Riche’s tenure.  ABC asked for the short stint to drive interest in Tracy heading to The City.

I also remember Riche zeroing in on Scott and coming up with the Dominque dying story to bring some humanity to both Scott and Lucy.  Something about an angel dying in his arms to make him a better person.

I know the danger element existed before PC.  There is a great scene where Scott has sent Lucy either photos or a video of Serena to watch a year or two after they left , and she remarks that Scott had given Serena a haircut like his.  It’s funny and sad, which Lynn did really well back then.

• Members

It's an excellent scene, greatly improved by the length. I like that they took the time to really let us savor the range of emotions Lucy was feeling there: anxiousness, curiosity, pride, gentle annoyance, despair, love. Nice acting showcase for Lynn Herring, and Jon Lindstrom did well, too.

• Members

Thanks to AddieCate for uploading those GH episodes...I started her 1992 playlist to see how Jagger & Brenda started and am now starting 1993.  This show was so good in the early 1990s...I had no idea! 

The music--

The way they used classics like Bruce Springsteen's "I'm On Fire" and Phil Collins' "Against All Odds," plus then contemporary jams like Charles & Eddies' "Would I Lie To You?" and PM Dawn's "I'd Die Without U," in scenes were perfect in elevating the moment and mood.

The comedy--

John Stamos making a cameo appearance as Scott, Dominique and Julia Barrett go to Hollywood was a riot.  Tracy Quartermain, Marco Dane, Paul Hornsby and Jenny Eckhert were so fun in their rivalry/fights.  Marco Dane was great with Lucy, too.  Brenda & Julia's sisters relationship was pitch-perfect and fun, too.

The suspense--

Bobby getting taken hostage, Felicia getting terrorized by Ryan and the emotional fall-out of her getting convicted/imprisoned.

The tragedy--

Dominique getting her terminal brain cancer diagnosis was so heartbreaking.  I didn't even really like the character before then, but the writing and acting won me over.

The unrequited romance--

Brenda & Jagger.  Antonio Sabato Jr was so fine in the early 1990s, which I knew ever since I saw him in Janet Jackson's best music video "Love Will Never Do (Without You)," but it is unbelievable how gorgeous he was!  The show really transplanted some of the most attractive character traits of Jagger onto Sonny and Jason in later years.  Jason kind of looked like a Ferengi back then with the big ears.

The sets--

Love all the exterior urban sets, to match how inter-connected the show's characters were to Kelly's, the Brownstone, the docks, the hotel/spa, etc.  The Ruby character being the heart of the show through Kelly's is perfect.

Does anyone know when/how/why Mac Scorpio lost his Australian accent?

I didn't know Brenda Barrett had a middle name:  "Brenda Marie" is what I hear Julia call her when she's pulling Brenda's hair and stopping her from taking photos of Jenny & Ned on the fun March 2, 1993 episode:

Edited by BrendaB