GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's the Falconeri house in its original set up, just with some modifications. In 2004, the fireplace in the middle of the room; in the remodel, the fireplace was placed on wall opposite the front door, and the kitchenette was placed in the middle, instead. But it is the same general set.

2004:

Please register in order to view this content

2020:

And yes, Tamara Braun looks fantastic, as well!

• Members

Agree to disagree.  It seems like most people agree with you on MS's portrayal. I hate the character of Nina regardless of who plays her.  I see a lot of praise for CW, but I find her more obnoxious and more lifeless than Stafford.  I don't see how CW's Nina has more of a point than MS's.  Nina is still useless and is now tied to her useless daughter.  I know CW is a better actress, but I don't find her Nina likeable, rootable, or sympathetic.  I am not a huge fan of MS or anything, but if we are ranking a horrible character on a scale of who bothered me the least in the role it would be MS's Nina. 

• Members

I completely agree, which I have to laugh about, because Michelle Stafford didn't want Nina to be Phyllis 2.0, and yet that is exactly how she was. Cynthia Watros has been able to stabilize Nina in a way Stafford was never going to every do, and it's been such a nice change of pace.

• Members

I guess I just don't see the need for Nina at all.  I don't think Stafford alone tanked the character, the writing and changing backstory did her no favors.  I don't find that CW has elevated the character to make her enjoyable. I find Watros's Nina to be weepy and annoying, but perhaps if she played a new character I would like her better.  I do agree Watros has stabilized Nina, but why are we twisting so many failed characters around instead of cutting the losses?  Obviously, this is more of a Howarth/Easton problem, but I would have dropped Nina years ago.

• Members

There's zero need. Nina has always been crazy at core, and Watros plays crazy like no one else. Let her feud with Lucy over Deception, get insecure over a returned Brenda, go apeshit and leave or die.

And the reason she's there is the same reason as so many other failed or tired characters/actors - the show is terrified to cut anyone 'just in case' they might be needed, and worried the complacent audience will revolt if a vet vanishes. Watros, Kirsten Storms, Chad Duell, the Willow/Sasha gestalt, Kelly Monaco, Chase, you name it - they can all go tomorrow, and that's not even half the list.

• Members

I used to rag on Guza's GH so heavily back in the day on this very board! Rewatching this clip now, this looks like high-budget and tightly-plotted compelling drama. Tamara Braun in her dark-hair-kissing-on-Lorenzo phase (my favorite TB era) looks gorgeous and Kelly Monaco has never looked more fresh-faced. I am in awe of the expansive multiple sets.

• Members

It's also a different time when soaps were still allowed to have more spaced dialogue and not rush through every scene to get to the next, etc. Characters could have conversations. It wasn't, "Let's get this done and finished so we can shoot the next!" Plus, I firmly believe Disney-ABC is more involved now than back that. That's just my perspective.

As for Tamara's dark hair... I love it. Suits her more. Shame once she left Carly was reverted back to blonde! And I love the colours of the sets; it's very neutral now, which I'm pretty sure is intentional for ease of shooting, but I do miss the dynamics of NTSC television.