OLTL 2.0: Who should be the new HW?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL one of my fave playwrights but it's not going to happen. Ever. I think you'd have to approach a far less successful playwright. (I do like the idea of getting someone from the theatre). Also with Guare's infamous temper and approach he would probably quit after being given the first suggestion.

• Members

Hopefully it woulda been more Moonstruck and less Joe VS the Volcano wink.png

Soaps have had some luck with playwrights (Lemay is the obvious example although it should be pointed out he was not a popular playwright--his success came from that memoir he wrote which apparently is very soapy and I always mean to read), but I dunno if any playwright, money aside, would want to do it now. Famed lesbian playwright Jane Chambers (Last Summer at Bluefish Cove) of course also won several awards for her short stint writing Search for Tomorrow in the early 70s.

ABC Primetime of course had John Robin Baitz creat and headwrite Brothers and Sisters--and at first he seemed to love his job, at least from reading his blog. But after being forced to do too many things (pull back on politics and older characters, add that random blonde girl who slept with the brothers) he quickly left never to look back. Craig Wright was then hired by them to do Dirty Sexy Money and I think he only lasted a handful of episodes due to network interference. (of course OLTL 2.0 won't be on network tv--and there are examples, like Alan Ball, of successful playwrights doing very well with serialized cable shows...).

• Members

Ha well I can never tell with you wink.png Funny I was just reading the parts about Guare's "friendship" with Stephen Sondheim in his bio literally hours ago. (I wish PBS would release their amazing film of the 80s revival of his House of Blue Leaves on DVD, my VHS is getting unwatchable and it would help people forget how apparently awful and misguided the revival this year was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj56am0sbd0 )

• Members

I, too, would not mind writing breakdowns and/or scripts, but only as a stepping stone toward becoming HW. You say being a HW would be too much pressure? I thrive under pressure. Plus, I'm a control freak of sorts; and anytime I plot anything, I'm looking at the whole picture and not just the small (but significant) details within it.

Archived