Pratt's AMC memories

• Members

Just when you think he can't be more of an ass:

At the ABC Press Tour event, Digest asked former AMC head writer Chuck Pratt — whose new ABC Family series, THE LYING GAME, premieres on August 15 — to share his fondest memory of his time in Pine Valley. "Did I have any fond memories? Just kidding!" he said. "I think my fondest memory was when we did the tornado and we dug through the rubble and instead of finding Kendall, we found Bianca. That was a moment. It was a great moment to be a part of. Our ratings went up, and I was attempting to get a younger audience with the show and it gelled for a while but then it didn't really, in the end, work out. It was sad. I was sad to go, but I left behind a lot of good writers and I think we did a good job, but it's unfortunate how it all turned out." He then added, "My mom still watches the show."

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/pratts-amc-memories

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still maintain the first 3-5 months with this guy at the helm was the most entertaining this show had been in years. He had balls in his writing, and at that point things badly needed shaking up. I agree it got ridiculous with the whole Josh/heart thing, Stuart's death, Adam/Annie, but he did one thing all of his other cohorts in the head writing dept. since 2005 could not do, and that is increase ratings. Whether you agree with his storylines or not, the ratings increases that came under him probably bought this show some time.

• Members

And lets not forget he did kill off Babe. I mean, if that isn't reason enough to at least give him a bit of credit, I don't know what is. Yeah he is an ass, very much so.... and I doubt he is a very nice person to be around, but he is the king when it comes to unadulterated soapy sleaze. After the year-long coma that B&E put this show in, we needed some sleaze.

• Members

I tuned out after the whole Adam/Stuart murder. I found it quite insulting. I didn't really start watching again until I got word he had been fired. So I mean I am on both sides of this debate. I agree his tenure was pretty disastrous overall, I can recognize he did do some good where as B&E and David and Donna in my honest opinion didn't really contribute anything meaningful to this show. They were similar in the fact that I found both visions just so BORING.

• Members

How was Erica unlikable?? I liked the stuff he did with her especially maintaining her & Adam's love/hate relationship, and I thought the Africa stuff was good to. I don't think Lucci was a fan of his work though lol

My god, he wrote Kendall the worst. Does anyone remember this one scene where Kendall was outside running around the yacht club?? I think hiding from the cops or something? My mind is foggy, but they were outdoor scenes & it was kinda windy. I can't remember when they were exactly but I was cringing the whole time at that ridiculousness. Anyone know where the clip is?? haha

• Members

Except for the fact that he created Marissa who is more or less a Babe insert. He killed off a character only to re-create her with the same background, same actions and same motivations. Pointless. Marissa is Babe hidden under another name.

McTavish raised ratings as well. Does that mean that she was super awesome too?

• Members

What an ass.

Like some others, I did love his work August- December, except the Ryan/Greenlee/Aidan stuff. The show was really fun for those first few months (eg. the early Jake/Amanda stuff, some hilarious Adam/Erica/Carmen scenes, Pete and Adam teaming up and concocting "Blast").

The tone changed dramatically in December and it was just a dark mess from then on.

• Members

Pratt is a show killer but really I still contend McTavish and her unaborted fetus crap and the banana pancakes and the Cambias stuff were awful also. Good things under Pratt, the Tornado(he is the master of disaster sweeps not Guza), Jake and Amanda, and Annie all terrific. The bad everything else including that horrific Reese Bianca crap. Don't care if they were the wedding of all weddings, that whole storyline was just disgusting and Reese was a horrific character.

He did help ratings and I think the show was still performing better than it had when he was fired. I still believe he was fired due to all the complaints from the cast.

Archived