Person of Interest: Discussion Thread

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's an interview at entertainment weekly. She says she knew she would be there 2-3 years and there was " a beginning, a middle and an end".

I think that makes it clear she didn't want to be tied down on tv, which makes sense when she was just coming off The Karate Kid and she's doing 2 movies a year.

• Members

See, I am not convinced that it was bait and switch. I have watched enough of this show to state confidently that Carter was never written as the leading lady. She was mostly the sidekick/token to the two white maie leads and even the Machine. I think that it was even more evident when compared to Abby on Sleepy Hollow. Beharie is clearly the leading lady on SH. Abby is prominently featured in almost every scene and shares scenes equally with her leading man. If this changes as they promote Katrina, then that is bait and switch, IMO.

• Members

Eh, based on this TVLine interview with the producer, Taraji was fired. If he was serious about keeping it "real," why did he didn't he kill off Reese or Finch? He deliberately made two women characters regulars and got rid of the only black woman who was a regular.

http://tvline.com/2013/11/20/person-of-interest-season-3-why-carter-was-killed-off/

• Members

It cracks me up in a sad way when I read his comment that "she knew it was a possibility." Well, of course Taraji was suspicious when she saw Amy Acker and Sarah Shahi join the cast as regulars and get equal and even more airtime that she was getting.

• Members

Well...okay, maybe it wasn't her choice.

I just think it's a two-edged sword. Network shows get hammered for being "safe", while cable gets praised for off-ing main characters two or three times a season. Carter might not have been a "lead" in the truest sense of the word---this show is built on the John/Finch dynamic---but I don't think she was ever presented as less than a full-fledged character the way other minority actors on shows can be.

I'm more invested in the show now. I'm sorry others aren't.

Archived