DIGITALLY-RECREATED Soap Opening and Closing

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also loved the "Channel 2 New York" voiceovers with the cinematic shots of the city. And the great voiceovers in general ("The Edgggggggggggggge. Of Nighttt!") Good job, whoever did that. And to whoever wrote the gorgeous musical scores of both EON and LOL.

• Members

Parts of Little Italy still look like that (LOL, the owners of some restaurants on Mulberry St are to a certain extent "protected." Allegedly). But I hear ya. The plentiful decades made Manhattan cleaner, possibly safer (on the surface) and, until recently, richer. But the Starbucks and Citibanks are turning it into Homogenous Anycity. It could be Cleveland. And NYC is *not* Anycity (yeah, I'm biased. I was born there). That's why I loved those shots of the city looking so glamorous, special and unmistakably NY.

• Members

I moved here (FINALLY!!!) about two years ago, and although I'm glad to be here, at the same time, I have to admit it's a far cry from the gritty movies from the '70's that made me fall in love with this city in the first place.

• Members

Same here. I think movies like The French Connection, Taxi Driver, Klute, Dog Day Afternoon, The Taking of Pelham 123 (which made me scared to take the subway) really conditioned my idea of the city, even though the NYC I knew as a kid was generally pretty staid. It's not like I was old enough to go cruising!

I once overheard two old peepaws in in a bar, one of them bitched about how "you can't do nuthin' no more in this damn city without Bloomberg fining your ass for clearing your throat." The other old dude grunted "Spoken like somebody who lived in f*ckin Tuckahoe for 25 years. I couldn't go into the street without stepping on used needles and junkies' hands. This place was a shithole before Guiliani." I always imagine the 70s to be this gritty, sexy, exciting place with the world's greatest music (punk, disco, rap) but it must have been a HUGE, violent, crazy, broke-ass mess for people who actually lived it. Especially after the glittering 1960s.

Maybe that's why I am intrigued by Edge of Night. :lol: Seems like the ultimate 70s urban soap.

• Members

True. We always romanticize the past, even when the past was as, uh, urban as New York was in the '70's. Truth is, ask most who lived here at that time, and they'll probably tell you these times are better.

Oh, totally! I'm sure others will disagree, but I think EON probably was the hippest, sharpest, phat-est soap in the day. It never seemed as old-fashioned and quaint as, say, LOVE OF LIFE, or even AS THE WORLD TURNS.

Archived