Do your feelings on veteran actors change?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really have grown to be very indifferent to Michael E. Knight (Tad, All My Children). I think a big part of it is the way the character of Tad has been diluted to the point where he is beyond useless and serves no purpose other than annoy me. Michael E. Knight I wouldn't say phones it in, but he has certainly lost alot of his charisma, intrigue and comedic timing over the years. The last time I really connected with Michael E. Knight as an actor was the day Dixie died.

• Members

I never had a big problem with Kim Zimmer as Reva, even when logically I probably should have, as she pushed a number of my favorite characters off the frontburner (or even midburner) and she was handed so many ridiculous stories. I guess it's because I felt like Kim was always making an effort, and in some cases managed to be understated (like Reva's stupid blindness storyline). But I gave up by 2004 so it may have gotten worse.

I hated Josh Lewis for years and then was indifferent to him, at best, but I grew to like him a lot more over time, and began to appreciate Robert Newman's talents.

• Members

Van Hansis wasn't a vet by any stretch of the imagination, but I absolutely loved him over his first year, throughout all of the Keith drama, the alcoholism stuff, the Jade stuff, the coming out stuff, the Damian stuff and the Raven Lake stuff. I think he got bored from 2006-2007 when he sat on the backburner, and by the time he got NUKED, he just became insufferable...hammy, over-the-top, twitchy, whiny, etc. He started caring again when ESS joined the show.

I also loved Dee Hall during SSK, but looking back, she sucked ass. I'll never forget Marlena finding Roman on Melaswen. "Oooh! OOOOOH!!!! OOOH ROOO!!!!!!! ROOOO!! MANN!!!!!!"

Here it is, it's at 13:18 and 20:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF44rBjXZ-A

I can't even lie, I loved DAYS then. OLTL 2011 is very similar to DAYS 2004, but I loved DAYS so, so much. Crystal Galore!

• Members

Deidre Hall has never been a good actress to me. She looked more alive in her 70's/early 80's stuff, but she's been downright awful since she returned to DAYS in 1991. So damn emotion-less and hammy at the same time. She sucks! I can see why some think DAYS is better off without her.

• Members

I forgot about Gina Tognoni. I really loved what I have seen of her work as Dinah Marler - hammy at times, no doubt, but she had a real vibrancy and gave Dinah a soul. Needless to say, my feelings on her work as Kelly Cramer, one of the most pointless characters in the history of soaps, are not as kind.

• Members

True that. But I tend to blame it more on the level of writing for Marlena, as well as the level of direction that was probably coming from Stephen Wyman, who made a ton of already bad actors on DAYS look even worse.

Same goes for one of my faves, Lisa Brown (ex-Iva, ATWT; ex-Nola, GL). God bless Doug Marland, but I don't think he was as committed to Iva as he should've been. Nor do I believe Megan McTavish, who head-wrote GL when Brown returned, really understood Nola as a character.

• Members

Robin Strasser. She used to be great but the last ten years or so she is just annoying with her voice artificially up an octave. Your voice gets deeper as it gets older, not higher, and she does this bizarre thing to...I don't know what she is trying to do, sound coquettish? Flighty?

Robin Mattson. The queen of all soap voices, but in recent years her hair has been a real turn off and it annoys me when I watch her. Still is the woman with the best voice to ever appear on a soap. I just wish she was kempt.

• Members

Deidre Hall for me, too. I absolutely loved her and Marlena in the 70s and 80s and was so looking forward to her return in the 90s, but it started out rocky and got progressively worse. I loved Vicky Wyndham on AW from beginning to end, but I became awfully annoyed with the faux-English accent she affected in the last few years of the show. I actually appreciate both Strasser and Zimmer for trying so hard to elevate mediocre material; it's not them or the characters I tired of, it's the writing for them.

Archived