OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

Watching 90s OLTL, and I see that Dorian always liked them younger since she was dating this Jason Webb guy. Also crazy how they used to have non villainous men slap women back because Dorian slapped Jason and he returned the favor. I did really like Jason and Marty’s friendship since we rarely get completely platonic friendships between men and women.

Edited by SamandWillowFan

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I know that this should be common working knowledge, but I cannot remember.  I had just begun watching One Life in earnest when Shepherd Strudwick was "killed" off the show.   I guess that was in 1975.  

What actress was playing Dr. Dorian Cramer Lord at the time:  Nancy Pinkerton or Claire Mallis (my favorite in the role)?

I also remember that the Vernon family was fairly new in town with Samantha about to return from her trip.   (The original actress was replaced at that time by Julie/Julia Montgomery.)

Edited by danfling

• Members

From the book Ryan's Hope: An Oral History of Daytime's Groundbreaking Soap

Helen Gallagher hated her role as Dr. Maud Boylan on One Life to Live. 

Roscoe Born called Mitch Laurence on One Life to Live his favorite soap character. The two summer of 1985 & 1986 was the most fun he ever had a soap. They also treated him well and paid him well. More people watched OLTL than RH.

Edited by safe

• Members

IMO, Roscoe Born's shining moment as an actor in ANY medium were his first two stints playing Mitch Laurence.  He took what could have been a standard-issue, easily disposable antagonist and infused him with so much sex and sensuality that you, as the viewer at home, could never get enough of watching him, even as he wreaked havoc on the lives of so many people - Viki, Tina, Dorian, Cassie - you cared about.  And no offense to John Loprieno OR to his (or Cord & Tina's) fans, but I don't think Andrea Evans ever had a better onscreen sexual partner than Roscoe.  As Mitch and Tina, those two were FIRE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Michael Ingram (Lt. Vinnie Woleck #3 on One Life to Live) passed away on September 20 of this year.

Here is an article that about him that was published in 1979 by the New York Times:

A Music Teacher Takes to the Stage

A Music Teacher Takes to the Stage

“IGUESS I'm the latest of the bloomers,” said Michael Ingram. You see, back in the days when Michael Harvey Ingram was an undergraduate at Hofstra, people like Francis Ford Coppola, Lainie Kazan and Madeline Kahn were on the campus. And while they were making names for themselves in places like Hollywood or on Broadway, Mr. Ingram was mainly spending his time as a teacher of choral music in the Sachem School District in Lake Ronkonkoma.

But lately, the 40‐year‐old Mr. Ingram has been making up for lost time, appearing on daytime television as Detective Vince Wolek in “One Life to Live” and singing and dancing at the Broadway Theater as Teo, the gentle pharmacist, in the musical “Sarava.”

Performing has nearly always been a part of Mr. Ingram's life. “I always had a flair for getting up in front of people and being quick with words and jokes,” he said.

The Brooklyn‐born actor remembers appearing in choral and drama groups at the high schools in Jamaica and Smithtown, where his family moved in 1955. When his father, a pharmacist, invested in a summer theater in Smithtown, Michael got a chance to work in professional productions.

Still, he went off to Fredonia, a state teachers’ college, intending to become a music teacher. And his ambition remained unchanged when he transferred to Hofstra, which awarded him a Bachelor of Science and Music Education degree in 1961. That September found him teaching music in the Babylon school system, but after about two years, he went off to do summer stock, followed by a tour with the Robert Shaw Chorale.

In 1964, he returned to teaching, spending the next “12 or 13” years in the Ronkonkoma schools — years during which he continued his studies in music and dance, did some summer performing, was married, became a father and was divorced.

In March 1976, Mr. Ingram, who decribes his voice as a lyric baritone, received a contract to perform with the Detroit Symphony. “I went out there,” he said, “and realized: Hey, this is what I want to do again.”

So in the summer of 1977 ne began making the rounds of agents for the first time in his life. “Within’ five weeks of being sent out by different agents, I got my first commercial — it was a beer commercial. And I came back to teaching in September of 1977 and lasted 10 days. I had so many calls for commercial auditions I just told the school district that I couldn't continue anymore. I wanted a leave of absence. I realized I had outgrown public school education. I was just too prepared to do too many other things.”

He felt no hesitancy about what he was about to do. “Security is only within your mind,” he said. “It has nothing to do with a steady paycheck. I found myself entering into something that I might never work at but I felt wonderfully secure in attempting to work at.”

When he looked at performers on television, he felt confident of his performing abilities. “It was not out of conceit,” he said. “It was out of self‐assurance.”

His self‐assurance was not misleading. By November 1977, he was under contract for three years to “One Life to Live.” And in the spring of 1978, he auditioned for a workshop production of “Sarava.” “I didn't even know I was auditioning for Mitch Leigh, the composer. I was just myself.” He got the part.

What's ahead? “People have talked to me and said I will probably be doing situation comedies or movies. I say: If that's the case, fine. I really just want to continue. I want to do good work in good vehicles and the medium is really unimportant,”

• 2 weeks later...