OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

Nice to be back and see familiar faces (particularly yours!)  I'll try to stick around for a while. 

Thanks for the correction--I see she gets a brief mention in the AMC coffee table book.  Of course not a major storyline like Ellen implies...

Loving didn't have any black contract players at first, did it??  (I mean Debbi Morgan had a somewhat important role in the pilot but that doesn't count...)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Great to see you here

Please register in order to view this content

Thanks for detailing the blanks--and yeah, man, I'd love to see some of that.  As you say, it should mostly all be there... 
Lisa Wilkinson as Nancy is one of the guests who came to Ruth and Joe's housewarming for the 25th anniversary week.

• Members

My understanding during the years was that actor Don Blakely had created the role of Frank.

Lisa Wilkinson left the role of Nancy and was replaced briefly by Avis McArter.  (Avis McArter had earlier played a role on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing.)

Lisa Wilkinson learned that Nancy was expecting a baby, then she learned in real life that she and husband John Danielle were expecting in real life.

Edited by danfling

• Members

Does anyone remember when the Victor/Sloan psychological mirroring stuff aired? When in 1995?

I seem to recall a dream Viki had of Sloan or Victor's face being superimposed on each other, but I don't remember when or many details of the plot point. If they're on YT, great.

Ah - found some of it, from late '94 I think - Viki equates Sloan breaking up with her (secretly due to his illness) with Victor and Eugenia on the stairs. But I could swear there was more after the DID reveal.

The end of the second sequence may be what I remembered; Victor and Viki kissing after she kisses Sloan. Shades of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. I am a little surprised they let that air. The bit with Victor and Dorian is great. All as disturbing as when I was a little kid.

I started watching in the spring-summer of '93 and from the start I could tell something was very off with the legend of Victor Lord as they retold the past story in bits and pieces for a new viewer. I don't know when I consciously realized I thought he had molested her, but by this time (this was fall '94, I think?) I knew something very, very bad was coming. And I've told my story about the big reveal in 1995 many times - I didn't really know Viki had had multiple personalities before she threw Dorian down the stairs. Terrifying.

Edited by Vee

• Members

This is an interesting tidbit from a Jeff Giles interview about OLTL oral history Llanview in the Afternoon, but I don't remember this anecdote from the book. It also gives a different angle on the Clint/Viki/Sloan triangle which suggests Sloan was always fated to be removed from the story somehow - which I figured, but I didn't know it was supposed to originally end with Clint the victor earlier on. Linda Gottlieb's public comments about the early story seemed fairly down on Clint at the time and IIRC she famously said she was going to give Viki the one thing she'd never had: "An orgasm." Which is a great quote tbh.

• Members

The odd thing about that quote is I just never got that great passionate vibe between Sloan and Viki. And it is even more odd if the seeds were in place that she was with him because he was like her father. 

I could see it more with Viki and Ben, or I could have if I did not find Mark Derwin about as attractive as a block of cheese.

• Members

I think there was a certain swooning literary romantic angle with Viki and Sloan, but you're right that it was not quite so visceral.

I thought Derwin and Erika had real chemistry and thought the younger man thing was a good idea, but couldn't stand the story. He wasn't a great actor, though a very sweet and funny guy offscreen. Around 2001-2003 my brilliant fanfic idea was to have Tina return, fall for comatose Ben, and when he awoke a changed man he'd have an affair with her and promptly exit the show solo.

I remember this too:

Edited by Vee

• Members

Great stuff--I assume Susan Bedsow Horgan was in place as EP by then (which is funny as I used to always just assume the DID must have been another story under Gottlieb).  Her first year was good, then (around the time Griffith left and Malone went solo) it became a mess--of course a mess that looked great next to the following years.

Where is the Giles interview from?  Having recently reread the Giles book they do mention how frustrated Roy was with the knowledge his character had a fatal disease but for whatever reason the writers hadn't seemed to have decided what disease it would be...  So he had to play a lot of coughing, etc.

• Members

It was a Michael Fairman interview (naturally).

IIRC Gottlieb did mastermind the DID arc but left in '94. I thought Horgan and co. did a fairly good job of maintaining the existing style and tone until '96, though others disagree. She's not Linda Gottlieb but she's never gotten enough credit for her work, which is part of the reason I was happy to have her back at OLTL 2.0 - instantly the show was, tonally, serious and adult again.

Edited by Vee