OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

Steve Harris was hired for that story. I don't know if Routh didn't want to play it, but he did leave a Bible-thumping rant on his website after being fired promising that God would judge those who had let him go.

Erin Torpey chose to leave because she was upset about her story over her last year or two. She took the Natalie/baby switch story personally, felt it had disenfranchised her and invalidated her years playing Viki's daughter. She may or may not have had antipathy towards Melissa Archer, though that's never been substantiated. She despised the pairing with Seth, both Seths. She felt her airtime and story suffered in comparison to MA/Natalie (it did). So she left. She may have done so anyway, but those stories and choices pushed her out the door.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
She wasn't the only one.

In retrospect, Erin Torpey was darling as Jessica, but she was maybe TOO darling to play Jessica as a grown, mature woman involved in adult romantic relationships. So, in my mind, the change-over from her to Bree (or another, more mature-looking actress) probably needed to happen and would have happened, too, sooner or later. It was just unfortunate that the change occurred at a time when the show didn't have the right kind of people in charge to handle that character carefully.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I think Erin did just fine in her love scenes, etc. with David Fumero, Jason Shane-Scott and others. She was assertive and in the moment and she and David, who was a fair bit older, had serious sexual chemistry. I think the problem was mostly manufactured, frankly; I didn't see her miss a beat with any of that material. She always came off more mature than Bree Williamson, both before and after she left (and returned for cameos). But would they have ever paired her with Kamar de los Reyes? No, never. I have never had a doubt Erin could play adult stories - with Jessica's children, with Brody Lovett, at the Banner, etc. Lord knows they hardly even attempted to write Bree's Jessica as a mother or a working adult professional.

I remember they had some little video Q&As (maybe for SOAPnet) in 2002 with members of the cast, and Erin got pitched some softball question from a fan about what mistakes she thought Jessica had made or something. Erin was clearly barely restraining herself and being polite for the cameras as she talked about Jessica maybe not making the best move staying involved with Seth Anderson. She was gone a couple months later.

Edited by Vee