OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

Yes, OLTL was quite different from other shows in the late 70's. It was the only show that featured a seedy, seemly take on sex, prostitution and fetishes. Karen Wolek was a character that was particularly interesting. Remember the time she went to the River Rat bar and goaded a potential john into beating her up? Or how she traded sex for jewels and clothes before her full fledged descent into prostitution? And then there was Katrina Karr, a hooker/junkie that was always in trouble, getting beaten or looking for her next fix. This was mature content for my then 13 year old self to be watching! Ivan took the cake, though, with his sexual fetishes, his frigid repressed wife and preoccupation with hookers and scarves, LOL! I have to believe that the network just wasn't paying any attention to all this lurid content, otherwise, it would not have aired as it did. It was all very provocative, and believably rooted in character. Ivan was fascinating, though I don't think the character could have worked long term. To redeem him would have been implausible, IMO.

Edited by Dale

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Clint Ritchie's Clint was a hot head but bascially a good guy. he could loose his temper and be totally crazy but then be very loving too,especially to Viki and the boys (later Jessica). Then when the writers didn't want a lon standing couple on the show anymore, they turned him into an unsympathitic homophobe. After the divorce, he mellowed but it just didn't work.

JVD came on as a good guy at first but then after Nora left him, they turned him into Asa's junior. he did some pretty mean things like sending David to a mexican prison on his wedding day to Dorian and then switching the paternity tests of Jessica and Natalie's babies. but he paid for it. sort of. Living in Llanfair isn't exactly punnishment.

• Members

and of course choose Dorian over Viki and then expecting to have cofee with her the next morning was pretty dumb but Viki put him in his place.

then he beat Robert ford up "Mr. Black and Mr. Blue" but i don't remember other things he did wrong. he was only under house arrest because he confessed to murdering Eddie Ford when he found out Matthew did it.

• Members

The Shane part bothered me due to the rewrite issue too, as the idea that he knew he was a match and said nothing. There wasn't anything in what we saw when Shane was initially sick for us to assume Clint knew. He could have donated anonymously...

• Members

I don't know...at the end there he was pretty nice. Being with Viki again changed him. I admit that whole love fest with Rex and Robert was so phony but I hope they can continue making him good. If not he doesn't stand a chance of getting his lady back. Although they could do another "Viki/Todd story" with Clint where he's always doing crazy stuff and Viki's always making excuses for him and staying by his side. Who knows.

I just hope somebody is able to post Viki scenes on youtube because i don't have Itunes or hula or whatever it's suposed to be on. and i hope Soap digest goes back to writing for the shows again.

• Members

I apologize, danfling and other readers. Gordon Russell and Ralph Ellis were co-headwriters of The Nurses, not The Doctors. That was a mistake.

Danfling, you are correct regarding Hall and Slesar. Henry Slesar accepted the writing position at OLTL because ABC promised him that he would be promoted to sole headwriter. They reneged, of course, and he left the series. Slesar told me that he could not collaborate with other writers. It was a personal idiosyncracy. He almost did not accept the position as headwriter for Edge of Night in 1968 because P&G wanted him to have a co-headwriter due to his inexperience as a serial writer. It was our good fortune that P&G ultimately conceded.