AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

I think P&G made at least two attempts to sell ALL MY CHILDREN -- one, to CBS; the other, NBC -- but neither network had the space for it. Nixon, though, took that as a sign that the material wasn't strong enough and infamously put it away in her drawer until ABC asked for another show after ONE LIFE TO LIVE's initial success. However, in the past, Nixon has said she left P&G for two reasons: to own her own soap (which she ended up doing at ABC), and to write stories featuring more diverse characters.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Has it ever been addressed re: why P&G didn't try to sell AMC to ABC when they were first shopping it around for Nixon? Was GH already enough of a success that ABC didn't think they needed P&G as a middle-man? For that matter, did ABC own GH outright at that point, or was it initially owned by the Hursleys like Nixon owned her shows and Labine and Mayer owned Ryan's Hope?

• Members

I don't think P&G did any daytime advertising at ABC in the 60's.They were the perennial third network and I don't think P&G thought it was an effective use of their ad dollars.

GH was originally a Selmur production.

This from actor Rick Jason's website talking about his primetime ABC series Combat.

Selig Seligman, the executive producer, was an old chum of ABC president Leonard Goldenson; they’d gone to law school together. Selig had worked for ABPT pictures in Ohio as a buyer for the movies that played theaters throughout the Mid-West. When ABC decided to try producing their own shows, Goldenson tapped his friend Selig, who formed a company and called it Selmur Productions, from his and his wife Muriel’s first names.

They moved to California and did a daytime court show, which proved highly successful. ABC then decided to invade night-time production, bought Selig’s production company, keeping him on as executive producer.