• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

But she is a minor soap actress. No one outside of soap fandom ever heard of her. The weird codicil makes me think this story is true because there is no reason for it to be in any given will and who would even think of such a thing? It was put in there it sounds like for the express purpose of exploiting it down the road. And that sort of gives the maid's words some weight.

• Members

I dunno, I think they word it that way to make it sound even more All About Eve. Like she was a minor soap day player who desperately aspired to be a MOVIE STAR, so glommed her way into this great actress' life. When really, whatever is true or not, it's pretty obvious that Francesca speaks the truth when she says she retired from acting and wanted to move onto production (she was still someone other soaps would have snatched up at the time) etc.

• Members

I totally agree there. But it doesn't sound like they even tried to contact her for a statement (maybe legally she's not allowed?) That's why it doesn't sound like legit journalism but more something from a gossip rag.

Yes, I adore All About Eve. But if I was a reporter, I wouldn't try to see a story that could somewhat be shoehorned into the film's scenario and run with it. *shrug*. I see it as a *slight* dig at soap stars just because they underplay her career by referring her simply as a a minor soap star so that the story sounds even more like Eve -- if that makes sense. If they had said "Francesca James who has a history working on screen and off screen on soaps" that wouldn't give the story the spin they want.

I mean they are pretty awful accusations, but in cases like this there are always multiple sides. Harris is well known to have had a tumultuous time with her family and children, going back before (from what this article says) Francesca moved in. I know in the 80s she had her son barred from some awards show (the Tonys?)

(I admit though, I love the idea of picturing James playing Mrs Danvers :D )

Edited by EricMontreal22