AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Members

And all of this has probably been going on, according to Jamey, since the early 70s, because ABC has no use for "a soap created with the express intent to be socially relevant." Apparently AMC has always been an hour of fluff nonsense, with Susan Lucci tossing her hair and Ruth Warrick reading cue cards and teleprompters day in and day out.

But Jamey has no agenda. Get out my face with that.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, marceline, grow a pair and say it to my face for once in your online existence. Don't be willfully ignorant. You and I both know that there's a world of difference between what I and others have said versus those two and their ridiculous exaggerations and games without frontiers. I realize that you kicked rocks and quit the show in a huff when Dena Higley got fired and have had it out for OLTL ever since, but I also know you're intelligent enough - despite your inexplicable adoration of Michael Easton and all his works - to know there's a fair amount of truth to the statement that OLTL has often been given short shrift as 'the middle soap' on a number of occasions over the last 40 years. Not nearly to the extremes that Jamey and Branco describe, and I would never have begrudged AMC or Lucci their successes, but yes, there has been preferential treatment a number of times over the years. That doesn't mean AMC is not a national treasure, it doesn't mean OLTL is not as much of a mess as AMC is lately, that doesn't mean I wanted AMC gone, and that doesn't mean that I am cheering for AMC's death or hating on Susan Lucci at all.

It's also ludicrous for them to claim AMC was not a social issues soap opera. Absolutely idiotic. If anything, as Agnes herself has stated, OLTL was in many ways the prototype for AMC. AMC was her vision perfected.

• Members

Does this moron know the history of AMC. Good heavens yeah AMC was fluff and Rylee crap for 40 years.I have nothing against OLTL, I just never got hooked on it as I did AMC, but does he even know WTF crap he is spewing. You'd think someone who grew up with and identified with soaps would have a clue of the histories of the 2 soaps he never stops talking about.

As for Lucci getting the attention Slezak and Strasser never did, I have the utmost respect for Erika Slezak, but no one worked harder at their career and their image and marketing THEMSELVES then Susan Lucci did. It wasn't ABC who created the Susan Lucci brand it was Susan Lucci. NO one outside the soap world knows Erika Slezak, Robin Strasser and I don't believe most know Eric Braeden or Tony Geary. They might know Victor and Luke and Laura. Susan is the only one and perhaps Allison Sweeney who has a name outside of soaps. I don't ever believe Erika ever wanted the same type of career Lucci did and Strasser sorry just strikes me as someone too bitter to look at mistakes she herself made in her career.

I admit to being hyper sensitive when it comes to Susan. But then anyone talking sensibly to these folks are all stoops to Brian Frons.

• Members

Vee, you just pulled a Jamey. I wasn't referring to you. When I say "and others" I am referring to specific others but you have never been on that list. I'm just not into you.

There is no difference between your fixation on people you disagree with and Jamey's. Just like Jamey is begging Susan Lucci to acknowledge him you are demanding that "I say it to [your] face once in my online existence" But there's nothing to say other than get over yourself. Both of you need to move on.

• Members

Okay Whats with all this Jamey Crap. That Letter Was Very Thought Out & All His Blog Posts Were True. Susan Still went On The Talk and Belittled Him Even Though He was Right

As For Michael Loganyou should listen to the DC Podcast where Logan Guests and talks about OLTL and AMC

DC Credits Him For Writing That TV guide Article and Logan Tells DC He Loves What They Do Callin Execs Out When Most Soap Publications Just Play The Execs Games

• Members

I like reading his scoops, but he does over do it though. Ever since AMC and OLTL have been canceled, he has been blaming AMC for OLTL being taken down when in reality ABC wants to drop all 3 shows.And not to mention hasn't already been reported by an insider that ABC wanted to drop OLTL first? I was one that wanted OLTL to survive if it came down between the two, but even I can see that he has had an agenda and Lucci was right.

• Members

Jamey wrote an article on why oltl should not have been canned and i agree with him. It is the best of the three at the momenyt creatively but Jamey doesnt hate AMC Just the writing. To Be honest Except For Four Months last November-March AMC has sucked since 2007

GH for me died in 2002/03

• Members

This ignores the fundamental fact that, when it mattered the most, AMC was higher rated and more popular than OLTL. After its debut, it took AMC three years to eclipse OLTL in the ratings, and so it was all throughout the 70s, 80s (except for two or three years), and 90s, when soaps as a whole were at their peak in mainstream pop culture. This is in no way meant to slight OLTL at all, because I have respect for it and its legacy, but, for whatever reason, the show never achieved the mainstream popularity that AMC did, and obviously that hasn't saved AMC from cancellation and it means absolutely nothing now, but in searching for reasons why ABC has given more attention to OLTL, it's an inescapable fact.

Exactly. I wonder how she would feel if she knew the likes of Jamey were patting themselves on the back for doing her bidding when she most definitely doesn't need it and probably doesn't want it. Robin Strasser...the verdict's out on the one.

• Members

OLTL being better is an opinion. And what part of this do people not get.The soap press knew ABC was going to cancel OLTL the minute AMC was moved to LA and OLTL not. So OLTL was already gone. They for whatever reason decided to cancel both soaps at the same time. ABC has made it clear they want out of the soap business and bloggers continuing to whine about it isn't going to change anything. All this internal strife they cause doesnt do one bit of good in the campaign to save soaps in fact it alienates people. And why would anyone who allegedly care about soaps as Jamey claims to want to go out of their way to blast Lucci. And he still have no clue if it was even him she was referring to. She likely has no clue who the guy is.

• Members

This is such a relief to hear, darling. I'll be sure to share it with the rest of the nefarious Internet gay soap cabal, which you will recall having you yourself first informed us of in 2009, when we first banded together with a message of "our gay or the highway" in order to oust Patricia Mauceri from the show, then to make "Kish" a frontburner storyline at the expense of more precious story moments with John. Me, Ron Carlivati, Jamey Giddens, Nelson Branco, Carson Kressley, Chris Colfer, the ghost of Paul Lynde, you name it - we meet by night on the soundstage of The Talk to plot the downfall of Michael Easton. We tried to stop you but you just can't stop preaching the golden truth!

In truth, marceline, you and your mishegoss are a lark to me. I don't take your or anyone else's nonsense any more seriously than you take mine. That's the reason I'm still here under a single identity, as opposed to, say, having been caught with multiple screen names and banned from Soap Opera Network. It's just not that important to me when people make fools of themselves.

Now, on to more substantive business:

Oh, of course that's all true. I totally agree. AMC earned its status and its stripes and it has always had a mainstream popularity OLTL has never attained. But I think that AMC was always positioned a certain way, as was GH once Monty came in, and I think OLTL slowly became a case, at least in the PR department, of first benign, then in later years overt neglect. Sometimes it just happened, other times they clearly had different priorities. A network is generally not the "evil empire" people think they are; everybody's scrambling to make something work, or negotiating other people's egos and temperaments, or thinking about the next quarter, or making it up as they go along. But there are always throughlines and undercurrents, and I think somewhere in there OLTL got first lost in the shuffle, then at times simply ignored. And there are times, particularly in the '90s, when I think that was just plain unjust.

• Members

I Think A Major Fact ToWhy AMC Is so Well Known Is Cause It Took Susan Lucci 19 attempts b4 she won an emmy

GH of course is a Pop Hit cause Of Luke/Laura

OLTL They Claim Never Had a reconginizble star . Even Though ES and RS are well Regarded and such stars as Judith Light, Ryan Phillipe and Nathan Fillion spent time In Llanview and I call That Thinking Complete BS

• Members

Ryan Phillippe and Nathan Fillion were not major household names during their time on the show, however.

I think that at different times, in different ways, Todd, Tina and Cord, Viki and Dorian, Karen Wolek were as close as the show ever got to that AMC/GH level of exposure. But it wasn't the same level.

Archived