All: Overrated Characters

• Members

GH Alexis Davis

Soap critics and often people on this board always cry they want to see more of Alexis and Nancy Lee Grahn. But why? She is the very opposite of interesting. She had every advantage at the start: a member of a dramatic and interesting family where no one was sane or normal. Someone, either the writers or the actress, geared her to basically play Marilyn Munster: the uninteresting, forgettable wallpaper who just serves to contrast with the actual interesting ones to make them more interesting. Then they sent her into this romantic lead role the actress was ill suited for. Then the final indignity, she became a brood mare for the descendants of Adele Corbin. And yet people still post "where is Alexis?" while begrudging the appearances of characters who are not nauseating as they discuss dimples. She is the fun house mirror image of Carly. They are alike in almost every regard except on the surface. Once you look close there is almost no difference.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for reminding me... I get these emailed audition notices, and one the other day was looking for stand-ins for Tom Pelphrey, Jerry Stiller, and James McCaffrey for a new Indie feature called Excuse Me For Living. I clicked on the link and Melissa Archer, Ewa Da Cruz, David Gregory, and Tonja Walker are in it as well. I don't know if this has already been reported so I apologize if I'm repeating old information, but thought I'd share for those who might be interested.

http://www.excusemeforliving.net/

• Members

WORD. And Jake McKinnon was getting pretty damn close towards the last few years of AW, too. As was Carl Hutchins (mentioned above).

Also:

Carly, GH. Well, obviously.

Sonny, GH. Ditto.

Jason, GH. I like Steve Burton, but the man gets lauded to the heavens for his ability to blink.

Brenda, GH. Much as it pains me to say. But I think it is clear now that VM's presence on the show is no longer going to boost ratings, part the Red Sea, etc.

Phyllis, Y&R. From the moment she came back to do that Glo by Jabot Kids stuff, the show became All About Phyllis.

Victor, Y&R. Duh.

Katherine Chancellor, Y&R. The wisest, most kindest, most wonderfullest grandma on earth. Unless you actually happen to be related to her. In which case, she will pick always pick Nikki, Kevin, Chloe, Gloria and Victor over you.

Esther, Y&R. Never understood how this barely-recurring character (and her feather duster) merited an opening-credits shot throughout the 1980s and 90s, why she is front-and-center in cast photos and functions to this day, and how on earth the actress (a term I use loosely) landed herself a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Ridge, B&B. He is still on the show! Driving story! Incredible.

Nick, B&B.

Sami, Days.

EJ, Days. I love him but it's too much. Both he and Sami need a vacation away from the constant frontburner -- and from each other.

Dr. Huffy McHairychest. I cannot even remember this character's actual name anymore. Don't understand why the show keeps writing SLs that tie him indelibly to the canvas. Let's have you sleep with Chelsea! Huh, no, let's have you go after Chloe! Let's have Victor be your sponsor/protector. Let's tie you to New Young Heroine Melanie! Let's link you to Crystal Chappell! Let's write a WTD story around you! Let's pair you with Jennifer Horton! Enough. This character could leave tomorrow and I would have forgotten about him before the door slammed shut behind him.

• Members

Y&R

Chloe Mitchell and Billy Abbott (Billy Miller)- Why is it that people think saying "witty" and "snarky" things is a good substitute for a personality? They're the poor me characters that don't deserve half the sympathy they get.

Days

EJ- is it because he's cute and British?

Melanie (overrated by the writers)

I'm more baffled by the fact that he's considered one of the hottest men in daytime. He's not unattractive, but he wasn't even the hottest guy on his own show.

Archived