All: Overrated Characters

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ATWT: Carly Tenney, Craig Montgomery (Hunt Block), Paul Ryan (Roger Howarth)

AMC: Lena Kundera, Zach Slater, Kendall Hart, Edmund Grey, Maria Santos

OLTL: David Vickers, Todd Manning, Blair Cramer

DAYS: Hope Brady

EE: Phil Mitchell

Corrie: Graeme Proctor

I guess it depends on who's doing the overrating.

• Members

I would say the difference is this:

If you simply don't like a character, you probably just don't see the charm or likeability in them. However, you can see why they might be significant to the show and what makes them popular.

Thinking they're overrated means not only do you not like them, you don't see why they are popular or how they are at all significant to the show.

Just IMO.

• Members

For me it depends, but sometimes a character that is overexposed becomes overrated. I can like a character that I see 2-3 times a week, but if their airtime grows to 4-5 times a week (for months on end), I tend to like them less or even grow to not like them. It doesn't mean I don't think they have value, just that the program is overvaluing their contribution to the story.

• Members

John Black comes to mind immediately. He was a mediocre actor. Looks-wise, he was above average. But, Drake was able to crawl his way into the heart of so many fans. He never had a serious storyline. If he did, it always came off as campy with him in the lead.

• Members

Luke Spencer

Todd Manning

Taylor Hayes

Lily Snyder

Craig Montgomery (Hunt Block)

Brenda Barrett

Victor Newman

Jason Morgan

Julia ATWT

Jonathan whatever the hell his last name was, GL

Almost forgot...Carl Hutchins, AW

• Members

Lol under Taggert and previous regimes his last name was Baynes. Suddenly overnight under Weston it became Randall. I remember the furor over that.

My picks for overrated?

-Phyllis(except Sandra Nelson) Y&R

-Victor Y&R

-Craig ATWT

-Noah ATWT

-Amber Y&R/B&B

-Cane Y&R

-The Coopers on GL, minus Nadine and Harley 1987-2005.

I will say I use to like Phyllis and Victor but both had become overexposed and outlived their usefulness.

• Members

What has been done to Phyllis is bewildering. She seems to have become a one-woman show, totally out of place on the Y&R canvas. I'm not sure if this is because she never had any strong ties to begin with or if this is just a lot of catering to an actress which then leaves her stranded when they try to finally sort of move on.

Mel Hayes, OLTL

Adam Newman, Y&R - it's sad to see a character who is so empty that the only reason he is remotely popular is because the actor who plays him is very good at playing the game

Archived