Deadline Hollywood Says AMC May Be A Goner

• Members

When AMC moved to L.A. I felt there was ACTUAL improvements in the show when LB took over. AMC from February-April was AMAZING and was the closest Agnes AMC. Ratings in February were ON FIRE. I remember AMC actually testing 3 million each week, Over 800k for the demos.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^She lost that really quickly, though. I didn't like her (and I got some of my best David/Erica in YEARS from her )because looking back now, I think she just disguised her plot points under history and character interaction. She didn't do anything different than Pratt did, ie. shock and awe, she just used their pasts to do it. Maybe that's what the show needed, I don't know, but I don't love her recent work as much as most did.

The numbers can't be denied, though.

• Members

Whomever said it, then, my argument was to suggest that ABC is making this decision the last 2-3 weeks is ridiculous spin on ANYONE's part.

There's this pretty big deal called affiliates contracts which I have been privy to and they take forever to renegotiate the terms. Pulling AMC and replacing it with a talk show is simply not an overnight decision nor easy as some suggest. NBC couldn't keep all their affiliates on board for a 4th hour of today for example and that could happen to ABC's new talk show, too.

• Members

Clearly, the move didn't succeed in cutting production cots, but ABC did try to save AMC so all the hysterical claims otherwise are ridiculous. As for "improving the show," I am never going to agree with you and others that quality or story writing has anything to do with the soap ratings. Our society has changed. For some unfathomable reason, people who watch tv are obsessed with reality dramas, reality competitive shows, etc. Reality shows are even pushing many prime time scripted shows off the air. The soap genre is dying this format and nothing can save it.

I agree completely. My point is that the AMC actors are a damn sight luckier than average American workers who make less money and never have the option of moving to keep their job unless they are a top exe. If the actors lose their jobs, I totally sympathize, but being made temporarily uncomfortable to keep on making that kind of money is not a tragedy that some people are trying to make it out to be. I don't recall a lot of outrage on behalf of the AMC crew who lost their jobs when the show moved to LA.

Archived