83rd Academy Awards Live Thread

Adam

• Members

That was ONE thing I was glad they dropped. They should have just showed the clips, but I found the whole big 10 minute presentations from the last two years so pretentious and just an ego-bloating session. Hated it.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pretty predictable list of winners...

But really, I wasn't totally crazy about any of the films up for Best Picture this year, but I won't begrudge The King's Speech winning Best Picture, out of most of the films, I thought it was the one with probably the most heart and honesty.

I also thought Tom Hooper gave the best speech when he won Best Director. I love the stuff about thanking his mother and how she was the catalyst for him directing the film.

As for the acting speeches, wasn't crazy about most of them, but I guess Natalie Portman was my most favourite, and her speech was really thorough.

Anne and James did the best they could, but they aren't charismatic enough to host such a big award show. It really looked like the audience was longing for Billy Crystal's peak years when he came out to present. They need to hand the hosting duties back over to a seasoned comedian, though I guess it would depend on who they pick.

The ending was the best part of the ceremony, and this year's stage has to be one of the best they've ever had.

• Members

Love love love! James and Anne were great IMO. The beginning inception themed montage was fabulous. Franco in a dress was priceless. Anne singing to Hugh Jackman was marvelous. The dig at Charlie Sheen was great.

I felt very bad for Kirk Douglas. I am a huge, huge fan. But the man has suffered many, many medical problems to the point of being unrecognizeable. I thought it was a bit mean for them to send him out alone. I would have preferred if they had sent him out with Michael. That would have been nice.

I've always wondered what it would be like if they chopped it down to two hours. Cut the televised portion to the four main acting awards, best director, best song and best picture. Really glammed up the performances and the hosts monologues.

It would probably move faster and less people would whine about it being "boring".

I personally like the full awards show. But I wouldn't mind focusing more on big awards and performances. But then, that would take away from everyone elses hardwork...

• Members

Ooof, Jimmy Kimmel just made a Dick Clark joke re: Kirk. I agree, it would have been nice if Michael was there with him, I think they're in London right there (did you all see the thing about the paparazzo punching CZJ in the face?). I think the hosts are handicapped by not great jokes too. That's where a really funny comedian with a flare for improv comes in handy.

• Members

Franco caused a ratings drop when he was on GH, so I'm not sure if this will do anything better for them.

I love Melissa Leo and I have ever since Homicide but why was she dressed like a Tim Burton spoof of Elvis?

I know this is way back but was anyone else a little annoyed with all the "this is how long it takes to get up the red-carpet" business in the pre-show? It seemed like Monk was writing the script.

I was hoping Tim Gunn would make a few bitchy remarks.

• Members

I agree - that was definitely the most amusing thing of the evening. In fact, Jimmy's show tonight is pretty amusing. Maybe he can host the Oscars next year - he already works for ABC - Johnny Carson did it for years, Letterman has done it, John Stewart has done it - why not Jimmy?

Archived