Y&R: Is Cane really dead?-EW Article

• Members

http://insidetv.ew.c...e-dead-or-what/

Daniel-Goddard_240.jpg

Image Credit: Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com

This is the kind of story arc that eats soap fans alive: On the Feb. 2 episode of CBS' The Young and the Restless, Ethan Cane Ashby — played by the popular Australian actor Daniel Goddard – was shot by a baddo named Blake outside of his dad's wedding to Jill. The paramedics declared him dead. There was a funeral. Wife Lily cried crocodile tears. Viewers had a freakin' cow.

And now what's this? An appearance from his "ghost" in today's episode?

EW is here to answer some of your questions — or to possibly create more. A source close to the sudser said that Goddard remains a paid employee of Y&R until further notice (or until they're officially ready to boot him). He's not only set to reprise his role as Cane in the Feb. 18 and 23 episodes, but he'll make additional appearances in March and April. What's more, no one on the show will even acknowledge whether his character is actually six feet under.

For the love of Nikki's stripping days, what the heck is going on?

CBS ain't saying, but this has to be good news for those fans (with nothing better to do) who decided to start a petition to save the Sydney-born Goddard, who's been on the sudser since 2007. Hold onto your John Hancock, kids; He might not be heading to the unemployment office just yet.

So are you relieved?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ann_SS that's so true. I couldn't think of what it reminded me of.

I never believed Cane was dead. If he is, fine, more fool me, but really, the show has kept him around for years when they had no real idea where to go with him, why would that change now? And how many fake deaths have we had over the last few years?

Unless they say the actor is going, then he's not gone.

Y&R tends to get more press in EW than other soaps, probably because of Braeden.

• Members

I never believed DG was truly gone since there was never an official press release about his firing. That BS about him being so popular that he was fired was a neon sign it was a red herring. I'm not sure what's going on but since they are using him as a ghost, YR would lose even more credibility than they already have if they were to bring him back. What's the excuse? He used a wax figure of himself in the coffin ala Maddame Tussads to flush Colin out? Or maybe he pulled a David on AMC and drank berry poison. Seriously. If YR hadn't jumped the shark before they certainly would with Cane still being alive.

• Members

I lost interest in Cane when they pulled the P3 alive - still the biggest mistake Y&R has made (other than Lily being Malcolm's). Cane just doesn't matter anymore. I like DG, but as a character, he is totally boxed in with Lily. They won't let him be a romantic lead because they removed his b*lls!

Archived