HBO: The Newsroom

Toups

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't take Sorkin's politics or his criticisms of the media seriously. He lives in a fantasy world like most privileged white men. Will's speech started off great as he points out where areas where America is not great as it can be and then he starts reminiscing about the past that never was. America was not great for African Americans, other minorities, or women before Vietnam i.e. the 1950s. Regardless, I think that he is a very good writer so I can get past that his delusions about our country's past. With all its flaws and as far as it has to go, I never thought I would live to see the day when we would have an African American president so I am happy to be along for the ride and have no intention of looking back.

• Administrator

I loved the pilot! I really miss "Sorkinese" - the way his character speak, so I'm really happy that I'll be able to watch and hear his language for a couple months a year. Sometimes people complain that Sorkin "lectures" too much in his speeches but I think those speeches are just awesome. Yeah, sometimes they get too "romantic" but that doesn't really bother me.

Will: What does winning look like to you?

Mackenzie: Reclaiming for the 4th estate. Reclaiming journalism as an honor profession. A nightly newscast that forms a debate worthy of a great nation. Civility. Respect. And a return to what’s important. The death of bitchyness, the death of gossip and voyeurism. Speaking truth to stupid. No demographic sweet spots. A place where we all come together. We’re coming to a tipping point. I know you know that. There’s going to be a huge conversation. Is government an instrument of good, or is it every man for himself? Is there something bigger we want to reach for, or is self-interest our basic resting pulse? You and I have a chance among a few people who can frame that debate.

I already love most of the characters from Will, Mackenzie, Charlie, Jim, Maggie and Neal because I want to root for them. Charlie's loopiness/drunkeness is hilarious.

I also like the idea of using real news events. Seeing the characters starting to discover what we already know is fascinating and really exciting to watch.

I really liked seeing the whole production aspect of the newsroom and television studio.

Some lines I liked from episode 1.1:

Mackenzie: James Harper, this is Maggie –

Maggie: Margarate….

Mackenzie: This is Maggie Margarate.

Mackenzie: The girl you just met, Maggie, she’s me before I grew into myself and got hotter with age.

Will: I’m thinking.

Mackenzie: What?

Will: Yeah, that whole speech did nothing for me.

Will: Punjab!

James: I don’t think that’s his name.

Will: Why not?

James: Punjab was a character on “Little Orphan Annie.”

Will: How do you know this? You’re the I.T. guy.

Neal: I’m not the I.T. guy. I write your blog.

Will: Are you kidding?

Neal: I think we’re in the first hour of a serious story.

Will: No. I have a blog?

Will: People choose the facts they want now.

I love that line, Ann.

• Members

ICAM Toups! I loved your whole post but only quoted a few lines.

Oh yeah, when I went to look up interviews from the cast before Sunday I found it quite interesting and good to know why Sorkin decided to go back 2-3 years in setting for this show because breaking news for a TV show now would be a little hard to do... even though I believe he'd be able to but idk something about doing it like this I just like it.

You forgot one of the best lines Toups!

Charlie: I am a Marine Don! I will beat the sh!t out of you; I don't care how many protein bars you eat!

I could not stop laughing when he exploded like that and basically made dude STFU. I also cannot stand him!

• Members

Thanks, Toups. I am not exactly sure where I got it from. Maybe it is just something that I have always thought after reading some plodding books by my favorite authors

I re-watched Newsroom the other night. Yep, I still love it. The musical score is fantastic, moving, inspiring, and perfect for this show. The theme is right up there with The West Wing which had the best instrumental theme on tv ever, IMO. I did some research, Newsroom's theme is by Thomas Newman who has done tons of music for movies and tv shows. He struck gold here.

• Members

Wow, I found it really, really good. The acting was so top notch that I fell in love with all of them. I'm so happy this was good.

The credits were also a nice touch and it's funny to see Sorkin bring the executive producer title card back to HBO shows lol

• Members

Did I mention that I love this show? Because I really, really do. I laughed from the minute Jim told McKensie that they lost Brewer's office to the end of the newscast. Those guests were hysterical so true too life. I have seen those people on CNN over the years.

I love Charlie and how much he cares about and protects Will. I love how much McKensie cares about and protects Will. Will is difficult, but he is not an ass and he is trying to be better.

Maggie and Jim are going to be great when they finally get together. In the meanwhile, I am enjoying their dance. She really does not know why she is mean to him? The girl is clueless.

• Administrator

I didn't like this episode was much as the premiere. I didn't buy that Mackenzie didn't know how to use the email system. But her stomping on Gary Cooper's blackberry and pouring coffee on it was funny. I didn't find the news topics to be that exciting but I guess you can't have those huge stories in every episode. I'm looking forward to the episode that covers

. I don't read spoilers but I saw Sorkin's interview on Jimmy Fallon last week.

I also found Jim/Maggie's banter, about prepping for the Brewer camp interview/hiding under the bed, took way too long - I think it last 5 straight minutes!

There's weren't too many funny lines in this episode but the one I laughed at the most was:

Will (shocked): FOX hired someone with three Mohammad’s in their name?

laugh.png

I don't watch much news but they actually have people like that on? I guess that's what happens when they have to get last minute guests? LOL

The show's been renewed for a second season. :)

• Members

That line made me laugh too.

Real people who are not that far away from those caricatures have appeared on CNN over the years. Nothing like hearing one of those minute men leaders sounding like fools as they defend building walls, shooting immigrants crossing the border, and anti-immigration legislation. Then there is the wacky academic who has written a book on whatever conservative ring wing topic that no one has read and the ditzy beauty queen whining that she likely lost the crown for her anti-gay marriage comments.

This is good news. I think that the show needs time to hit its stride.

• Administrator

Good thing I don't watch news channels. It's a shame there are actually people like that out there. The state of Arizona scares the hell out of it.

I agree. I think this is going to be a show that will take time to develop instead of being a roll out to the gate.

• Members

Still liking it, although I agree it seems it needs to fine-tune itself just a bit. I find it quite interesting, however, how the show incorporates slapstick humor into its script. At first glance, it's kind of jarring: They're talking about important news and, all of a sudden, someone's spilling coffee on a blackberry. It's kind of the last thing you expected on this show but I think it might work.

What they did with Will was great; I love how they expanded and somewhat explained his character, although I hope they don't overuse the "he's soooo nice but misunderstood" route, especially if Will starts acting nice all the time, because that will make for a much less interesting lead character. But I don't think they'll do that.

In any case, I really enjoy Will/Mac and Jim/Maggie. These two are very promising and I liked the newest character Mac hired as well.

Archived