HBO: The Newsroom

Toups

• Members

Stephen Hill: In 2010 when I was deployed to Iraq, I had to lie about who I was because I'm a gay soldier, and I didn't want to lose my job. My question is, under one of your presidencies, do you intend to circumvent the progress that's been made for gay and lesbian soldiers in the military?

Will McAvoy: That was a big room full of Republican primary voters booing an American combat soldier who, as he was speaking, was in combat. The audience members who were booing were in Orlando. Soon they'll surely be in hell, though not soon enough.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

tumblr_mqdexbY3Z91qgkofwo1_400.gif

Bless The Newsroom, and I ship Don and Sloan so hard. Sloan reminds me of the old Sam Morgan, except for the whole brilliant economist with a broad vocabulary and 50 IQ points to spare to almost anyone not named Sloan. But Sloan and Don are perfection. Love!

• Members

I have loved this whole thread in The Newsroom about Occupy Wall Street. I never really understood what the protesters were hoping to accomplish, and Will's interview with one of the "organizers" or whatever one should call her asked all the questions I've had about the purpose. Lo and behold, it wasn't just me. But the ensuing comedy of everyone on the staff trying to make some acceptable apology for Will's humilation of this chick was hysterically funny.

tumblr_mr2kynK7eB1rhjaqdo2_500.jpg

Sloan was smug. Slllluuuuurrrrrrpppppp!

• Members

Dean? Or Don?

I have a major girl crush on Soan.

I liked Maggie for just about the first time last night. Maybe because she was half drunk and her delivery of her lines was slightly less staccato than usual. Jim is starting to get on my nerves. He's a goody goody and I don't like those people and I'm glad Maggie challenged him when he question why she made the mistake with the 911 tape.

I can't wait to find out what is happening with the Sarin gas story. And I'm starting to get itchy because we're almost halfway through the episodes (I think there will be 12 and we're on 5). I will sob when this ends.

• Administrator

I've been pretty disappointed with the season so far. None of the news stories are really interesting, especially this Genoa season arc. None of the episodes have been intense, heart-pounding, or really funny.

In season 1, there were so many lines to type, but this season I've only typed a few things - episode 2.2 had nothing!

2.1 – First Thing We Do, Let’s Kill All The Lawyers

Rebecca: 14 months ago you went on the air and called the Tea Party, “The American Taliban.”

Will: I did.

Rebecca: And…

Will: The Taliban resented it.

Charlie: Great show.

Sloan: You saw it?

Charlie: I got it DVR’d.

2.2 – The Genoa Tip

2.3 – Willie Pete

Will: That was a big room full of Republican primary voters booing an American combat soldier who, as he was speaking, was in combat. The audience members who were booing were in Orlando – soon they’ll actually be in hell, though not soon enough.

Will: Snark is the idiot’s version of wit and we’re being polluted by it.

2.4 – Unintended Consequences

Will: How you doing?

Shelly: Good. Thank you.

Will: Yeah, I’ve got it.

Shelly: I’m sorry?

Will: I was talking to my producer. How do I look?

Shelly: Good.

Will: Nope. Producer again.

Neal: Is he just screwing with her?

Mackenzie: Hmmm…hmmm.

Neal: Come on.

2.5 – News Night with Will McAvoy

Mackenzie: It should be obvious to you by now that fundamentally small people are going to try to raise their profile by standing on your neck.

They are the best thing about season 2, mainly because of Sloan. She really is impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Oh Toups! You disappoint me. While I agree S2 isn't as good as S1 it is still so much better than anything else. I think the whole backdrop of everyone in these depositions responding to interrogations took some getting used to and can be rather plodding because basically it tells the entire overarching story about Genoa in exposition. That's always a tall order. Too much was focused on that and I think they probably lost viewers because audiences have short attention spans and can't absorb the detail required to remain engaged in the story.

I was really disappointed in the season premier. But each subsequent episode engaged me. Each more than the last. Building to tonight's episode which was exquisitely explosive and incredibly rewarding. There hasn't been as much pithy dialogue that is Sorkin's trademark and the subject of gifs, and each individual episode may have left me wanting, but the season in its totality is epic IMHO. I can't wait to binge watch the entire series to this point all over again in the two weeks I have to wait for the next episode.

The Newsroom should have been produced for Netflix like House of Cards.

My biggest problem is Maggie's hair cutting and dye job. I can't figure out when that happened. It bugs me throughout every scene she's in.

Archived