Toups

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I absolutely love this show which has a great score too. It is a little over the top at times, but I like the characters and the acting is very good. I don't know what the media critics were complaining about. Of course, I am really curious to learn more about Will and McKenzie and why they broke up. They are adorable together even though she is a bit too young for him. I loved the end where we found out that it really was McKenzie in audience with the signs.

I love Jim and Maggie is a sweetheart. He and Maggie will be a great couple eventually. Neil is the smart guy and I hope he gets more airtime. Sam Waterson is great as the loopy supportive Charlie.

• Members

I don't get HBO but I have enjoyed the reviews for this - Aaron Sorkin spent so many years reminding everyone how awesome it is to be up his ass, the critics just don't bother to hold back the hatred.

• Members

Well, the critics got this one wrong, in my opinion. Yeah, there is a lot of Sorkin speechifying, but it is amazingly well done by talented actors. Sorkin might indeed have a big ego, but he damn sure earned it because he is one of the best screen writers of his generation. I have been re-watching season one and two of The West Wing and realized outside of Six Feet Under nothing has close to that quality of television since.

• Members

I think he's a good screenwriter in the right element, but I was never as crazy about Sports Night as many were, and Studio 60 was a trainwreck. I think there are only so many times you can use the same characters with different names and actors.

• Members

So basically you are judging him on his failures? Being great does not mean that you always succeed, even the best writers have their stinkers. I can't imagine dismissing an amazing talent like Sorkin like you are doing here, but to each their own.

• Members

Sports Night got his TV career started and is often seen as among his best, whether it was a ratings hit or not.

I think Sorkin is a talented writer who writes a very limited view and writes that over and over, similar to David Kelley. To me, it's a law of diminishing returns. I think he also spends too much time trying to show people something they already know, instead of really polishing the material.

Archived