Soap Opera Archetypes

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think a character can be a diva without being a bitch or a vixen. To me, a diva is a female character who embodies the show, is heavily associated with its best/most memorable periods, and has gone through a lot of crap. Viki from OLTL being a prime example of a bitchless diva. On the other hand, there are those who fit into all three categories (bitch, vixen, diva), thus earning the title "bitch goddess." But then again, there are a million different definitions of "diva," so who knows.

One of my favorite archetypes is the smokey "marked woman" type, like ATWT's Kim or Corrie's Rita. The lust lounge singer/burlesque performer/exotic dancer type who ends up being full of wisdom.

On the male side, I always love the "sensitive/brooding" guys, usually offset by a more ruthless brother. Prime example would be Gary Ewing.

In the broken record department, if soaps would broaden their horizons a little, there are tons of new archetypes that could be explored in the five-days-a-week format. Where the trailer trash bitches at?

• Members

LMAO! When I read "tarty", I instally thought of "Dont be Tardy for the party". Kim Zolciak is a mess. Hot mess! That should be another soap archetype

Sally Spectra was most definetly a diva and I wouldnt quite classify her as a bitch or vixen. She was well Sally!

• Members

I definitely see your point in terms of the diva definition, but in regards to OLTL's Viki, I've always thought of her as a matriarch or heroine, never a diva/vixen/bitch. She's too mumsy for that. Viki's never had a period where she was "fabulous" (if that makes any sense). I think you MUST have had a period of being "fabulous" in order to qualify as a diva/vixen/bitch or bitch goddess.

I love the "marked woman"...Corrie's Rita is a terrific example of this. What would EastEnders' Peggie be classified as?

Archived